Layang Layang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelem

Contributor
Reaction score
I plan to go there in May.

How strong is the water current?

I am AOW, only have about 80 dives and have dived to 30m only.

Do the dive sites there require to dive to 40m all the time?

Thanks.

Are there strong currents? That depends on where and when you dive, right? Even around a small island like Layang2 you will be able to find both strong currents and bathtub currents.

It's also wall diving so you can stay as shallow as you like. The hammerheads that Layang2 is famous for are usually found deeper though. If you interest is solely to see them, plan on going deeper (to 40m and looking down) or getting lucky.

Currents can be strong but I wouldn't worry, just listen to and stay close to the divemaster and you will be fine. Most importantly don't do anything you don't feel 100% comfortable with.

Are there strong currents? That depends on where and when you dive, right? Even around a small island like Layang2 you will be able to find both strong currents and bathtub currents.

It's also wall diving so you can stay as shallow as you like. The hammerheads that Layang2 is famous for are usually found deeper though. If you interest is solely to see them, plan on going deeper (to 40m and looking down) or getting lucky.

Zippsy,

I'm headed there in April. I assume you have been there. Is it 100% wall diving? What will the water temps be like?...and Hammerheads at 40m???...better have great vis!....thanks for any info.

Always check with your DM first about currents...if anything to prepare yourself so that there are no nasty surprises or panic situations. As long as you are prepared and follow the DM's, you will be alright. The serious incidents in Sipadan for example all involved tourists who were DM or Instructors....they thought they knew better and strayed from the DM's and ignored their warnings....your guide does this for a living....he will never put the group through a tough dive knowingly and make his job difficult.

Expect water temps around 27 degrees.....3mm shortie will be enough. I wear a 3mil full suit, mainly because I have been badly stung before by jellyfish. At 40m, a 3mil full would be just nice (for that short period). I saw some Hammerheads in Dec in Sipadan....they were deep and we had to decend pretty fast to catch a glimpse. They were the Oceanic Hammerheads and not the smaller reef kind. We got to 38m and the water was dark blue to black all the way down. You will be fine...just use your guide and the other divers as reference to orientate yourself....80 dives is pretty decent. You are definitely not a newbie!

I am AOW, only have about 80 dives and have dived to 30m only.

You'll do fine. 30M and 40M not that much difference, except your reduced bottom time, air and extended safety stop. Current should not be an issue with your experience unless your 80 dives were in a bathtub...:D

Have a good trip to Layang Layang....

I did dive with currents in Cozumel and Bali before.

Does the resort have AA batteries, snacks (chips, cup noodle) and bottle water to sell?

How much for spa and massage?

Does it have internet service?

Thanks.

Travelem...I sure hope all of those things are offered....But LL is a small Island in the South China sea....I already am getting chilled as Eskasi said the water is 27/80 degrees....LL said it is always 28-29/82-84 degrees!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom