LCBR Trip Report - August 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the resort has wireless internet service. The best place to pick it up is the bar area.
No, you don't need converters, same as US.

Have a fantastic trip.

Nice report and pics!! I am heading to LCBR in January and will be staying in the beachfront room.

A couple questions ...

Do they have wireless internet service anywhere at the resort?
Will I need converters for my electric gear (laptop, battery chargers) ?

I am really looking forward to my first diving experience in the Caymans.

carriemak is correct, no converters required. You may want to bring a travel alarm; we found that the room alarm clock ran about 15 minutes slow per day - and we didn't want to miss breakfast! Our guess is due to minor power differences. We saw this in Utila to an even greater degree - the electric clocks there were basically useless. We got full internet at all times in our 2 rooms, although it paid to move to a different spot in the room - the desk area, thank goodness, in one case. Not the fastest connection, but it was great to have in our rooms. There are two areas of beachfront rooms; one is a separate building sorta behind the dive shop (looking from the pool / bar area), the other are the end rooms on the building by the pool. The separate building is near the compressor area; others told us it is a bit loud when they are running for a while each afternoon. Our rooms were at the end of the other building, closer to the pool and bar, so may have the better internet connection.

Regardless - you will have a great time. Aside from the sight of the abyss (6,000 ft drop!) and the fascinating, varied structuring of the coral heads and shattered sections of wall, the number of sharks we saw left the greatest impression. We saw more reef sharks there than in all our other dives combined. It was our first time in the Caymans, but it will not be our last. But for now, our attention will turn to our next trip to Cozumel in February!

There is also a computer for the guests to access in the front lobby for a small fee.

We are staying in the pool-side beachfront rooms, so I think we should be away from the compressor.

Hope to see sharks! In the past 2 years since I was certified I have been to Roatan, Cozumel, and Bonaire and have yet to see my first shark.

I'm already starting to count the days.

Tailspin,

We were just there in August as well, and I was able to get wireless in my room. It was not a real strong signal, but it was a reasonably good connection. You won't need converters or anything. You might want to bring a small travel surge protector though, as the power does fluctuate from time to time and went out once for about 5 minutes while we were there.

As for the groupers and lionfish, when we were there, the sharks were getting far more interested than the groupers. The groupers were still friendly and would hang around, but the sharks were getting agitated when they saw a DM with a lionfish on a spear. We were there the 2nd week the DMs had been using the spear slings, and there were at least 2 sharks that had already been well conditioned to come around for a look when they heard that sound. By the time we were leaving, the DMs were starting to get concerned that they were encouraging the sharks to associate humans with food.

When you are swimming on the wall, the beauty of the wall will really suck up your attention. If you look behind you, you'll see the shark! LOL! Just glance over your shoulder out into the blue every once in a while and you'll see one. They do come into the wall and into the shallows if they get very curious, but most of the ones I have seen there are cruising about 20 yards off of the wall.

There is an area of sand before you get to the wall that will house a nurse shark in the early mornings or late evenings. ...as well as a bunch of sting rays.

As a first time diver at Little Cayman, there was certainly enough to see to become distracted. On one occasion a young lady diving off our boat was watching a trumpet fish as I was passing by, and did not realize there was a large turtle about 3' directly under her calmly grazing on some sponges until I got her attention. Another example was our third buddy, pointing out a turtle swimming by without realizing there was a large lobster on a shelf of the wall right next to him. And yes, keep an eye off the wall into the blue for the sharks! Over the flats on the way back towards the dive boat, glance overhead for groups of squid, moving in formation with a rear guard swimming backwards.

The nurse sharks find some funny hiding spots in smaller coral heads, with both ends sticking out from their too small redoubt. We even found what had to be an octopus in a small crevice nearby, although he did not want to show much.

Attachments

• P8190157.jpg
    P8190157.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 36
  • P8190150.jpg
    P8190150.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 36
  • P8200180.jpg
    P8200180.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 42
My wife, daughter (16) and I spent 8 nights at LCBR in mid-August, and in short the resort met or exceeded every expectation! .....

Qnape, thanks for the great report. Due in part to your experiences and great info from others, my wife and I are booked in at LCBR Nov 9th - 16th.

Looking forward to it!

Thanks again for sharing your report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom