LCHF or Ketogenic Diet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have noticed that people that go on intensive diets (me included) have almost never kept it off. Look at biggest loser. Almost every person I know that has had some sort of bariatric surgery have issues in the long run with keeping the weight off, and a few with other more disturbing issues. Even with surgery you have to follow a diet and is that not the reason why they needed the surgery in the first place?

My co-worker has been strongly encouraged by her physician to have surgery related to her weight, and her diabetes. She ended changing Md's because he kept harping on it and as she said she did not want to be on a diet for the rest of her life. As of 10 months ago, over a 2 year period she had slowly lost 30 lbs, and is off her diabetic meds and her borderline hypertension is well within normal. She is an inspiration. She denies her self nothing, but eats small portions, and takes a evening stroll. She is still obese, checks her blood glucose, and has an A1c that is vastly improved, but more importantly she is happy, and healthier. And still going strong, walking and watching what she eats. Slow and steady is working for her.

best to you @uncfnp ! Losing belly fat is so hard...and so good for you! I have considered hypnosis, if only I could believe that burgers and fries taste horrible!

when you do just those things, cut out empty carbs, fast food and junk..add fresh foods, organics and veggies, you are going to be on a low carb diet! Fruits are the conundrum.
Nope. Not low carb, just low empty carb.

Fruit is high in fructose, that's a carb. Whole grains are high in starch (which is a carb), but the starch comes bundled with fibers (which are carbs, but admittedly indigestible by humans), vitamins and minerals.

I totally agree that empty carbs (added sugar and refined starch) should be avoided within reasonable limits, but that's not a low carb diet. It's just healthy, sensible eating.

My tenet is that moderation is the key to healthy living. And even moderation should be exercised with moderation (IOW, pigging out occasionally is quite ok as long as it doesn't become a habit)

I'm headed to an all inclusive tomorrow. I needed this thread like a hole in the head :nyah:

Nope. Not low carb, just low empty carb.

Fruit is high in fructose, that's a carb. Whole grains are high in starch (which is a carb), but the starch comes bundled with fibers (which are carbs, but admittedly indigestible by humans), vitamins and minerals.

I totally agree that empty carbs (added sugar and refined starch) should be avoided within reasonable limits, but that's not a low carb diet. It's just healthy, sensible eating.

My tenet is that moderation is the key to healthy living. And even moderation should be exercised with moderation (IOW, pigging out occasionally is quite ok as long as it doesn't become a habit)
I really think we are much more in agreement than disagreement. Part of the problem may be the definition of “low carb” and what we substitute in the diet for those missing empty carbs. As I said, fruits are the trouble makers in this equation, considered healthy yet full of sugars and calories. So much so that any calorie restricted diet will have trouble managing too many of them.

And I agree in the concept of moderation. As I said, I do not believe in approaching this or most anything in life with a fanatics view point.

I'm headed to an all inclusive tomorrow. I needed this thread like a hole in the head :nyah:
not all inclusive but my trips to Cozumel will be be a real challenge.

I have noticed that people that go on intensive diets (me included) have almost never kept it off. Look at biggest loser. Almost every person I know that has had some sort of bariatric surgery have issues in the long run with keeping the weight off, and a few with other more disturbing issues. Even with surgery you have to follow a diet and is that not the reason why they needed the surgery in the first place?

My co-worker has been strongly encouraged by her physician to have surgery related to her weight, and her diabetes. She ended changing Md's because he kept harping on it and as she said she did not want to be on a diet for the rest of her life. As of 10 months ago, over a 2 year period she had slowly lost 30 lbs, and is off her diabetic meds and her borderline hypertension is well within normal. She is an inspiration. She denies her self nothing, but eats small portions, and takes a evening stroll. She is still obese, checks her blood glucose, and has an A1c that is vastly improved, but more importantly she is happy, and healthier. And still going strong, walking and watching what she eats. Slow and steady is working for her.

best to you @uncfnp ! Losing belly fat is so hard...and so good for you! I have considered hypnosis, if only I could believe that burgers and fries taste horrible!
Thanks Dizzi. I have to say I am surprised how easy it has been so far. But as I said, switching to LCHF really wasn't too much of a stretch for me since I wasn't a big fast food, chips or sweet eater. Mostly I just haven’t had bread, pasta or potatoes since Thanksgiving Day. And amazingly for me it is true that if I don’t eat them I don’t crave them.

And just the absence of belly pain and discomfort alone is almost enough to keep me off carbs.

Last edited:
A word on grains, if I may.

Get a grinder attachment for your Kitchen Aid mixer. Grind your own wheat berries and corn. Make a very thin batter with water and an egg, think crepes. Cook in a skillet with the oil of your choice. These paper thin wraps will go a long way towards curing carb craving.

I'm into sprouting right now. Broccoli and other brassicas are the clear leaders. Chicken, sprouts, veggies, and the salad dressing of your choice in a wrap is quite satisfying.
Thanks Dennis and you know how much I love good food and cooking. I have a Kitchen Aid grinder attachment and will keep this in mind but so far I don’t feel the need. I have substituted lettuce for wraps and very happy with it. Tonight its shrimp and chicken fajitas in boston lettuce wraps.

Ketosis – advantaged or misunderstood state? (Part I) -

About Me -

Today, the first results of a T2D reversal clinical trial were published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research that show a promising new way to look at T2D: it is reversible in a large percentage of average patients, safely and sustainably. The trial was conducted by Virta Health, an online diabetes reversal clinic, which uses technology and artificial intelligence to solve the above mentioned care delivery challenges.

The trial took place in Lafayette, IN, in partnership with Indiana University Health. A total of 262 women and men with T2D enrolled in the Virta Clinic. Average age was 54 (Stdev: 8); BMI 40.8 (Stdev: 8.9) and two-thirds of the patients were female. The trial will continue for at least two years, and data from the first 70 days were published today.

After just ten weeks:

• 56% of the diabetics enrolled achieved an HbA1C below the diabetic range (6.5%), while eliminating hypoglycemic medications
  • Almost 90% of insulin users had it either completely eliminated (close to 40%) or reduced
  • Mean body mass reduction was just over 7%, which is quite significant, but also shows that diabetes can be reversed before massive weight loss (i.e., it’s not the obesity that causes type 2 diabetes, which is consistent with the gastric bypass literature)
  • Patient completion rate was >90%, which is remarkably high in an outpatient-based intervention.
  • Reported feelings of hunger decreased from the pre-trial level (this seems to be a strong indication that will-power driven caloric restriction was not a factor in weight loss)
  • Importantly, there were no serious adverse events, no incidence of symptomatic hypoglycemia, and no incidents of ketoacidosis.

...you know how much I love good food and cooking. ... I have substituted lettuce for wraps and very happy with it. Tonight its shrimp and chicken fajitas in boston lettuce wraps.
Yes I do know, so do I.

Mmmmmm! Try fussing with dipping sauce to get it to your taste: Vietnamese Fish Sauce Recipe - Nước Chấm | HungryHuy.com

Try these wraps, probably comes up as a zero on carbs:

Wraps.jpg

I'd like to believe that low calorie you lose weight, but skipping breakfast instead having a coffee, eating lunch, and then skipping dinner did not do it - i was getting nowhere. I was more active in 2017 than I had in the previous 2-3 combined, yet I stayed the same or gained weight.

Cutting the carbs worked, I lost 24.5 and I am eating 3x as much, just not the carbs. And that was light exercise - nowhere near the intensity of the pre-diet regimen.

Back
Top Bottom