LDS Purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kd5izq

Reaction score
I'm just curious, has anyone every run into problems with their primary lds when they make purchases else where? Such as bad attitude, different treatment from other folks that frequent the store that strictly do business there. I'm not talking about the apparent age old debate of online shopping versus lds, I'm talking about if you do most of your diving and certifying through one lds but maybe your not a big fan of the brands of equipment they sell or just prefer another brand or find something used at a pawn shop and when they find out, they necessarily come right out and say it, but they let you know in other ways that they don't like that. I haven't had this problem myself as of yet, but I've heard of some who have in our area and I was just wondering if this is a general practice with dive shops. So fill us in on your experiences.

Never had that problem. I really doubt many people would have such an experience without unthinkingly (and possibly unknowingly) flauting the purchase, requesting some sort of service for that purchase or otherwise antagonizing the LDS about it such as pumping them hard for information/tryouts and then taking the purchase elsewhere after using the LDS' services/time. LDS' may not be happy to lose sales, but the ones that are still in busines usually know better than to chase off the business that they do get.

That was basically my thoughts as well. Like I say, I've not run into this, but I've talked to a few that have and I just really wanted to get the thoughts and experiences of those on the board in regards to this.

I first started divng out of my current LDS when my wife took their certification course. I was speaking with the owner about the gear I owned at that time.

He politely asked if he could have a shot at my business. I started with a new tank and haven't stopped since.

Periodically, I'll want something that he doesn't stock or in a model that I don't like. If he can't get what I want, then I go elsewhere. He's cool with that since I gave him the chance. Of course, its usually something small.

I'm lucky, however. The LDS owner goes out of his way to service his customers. He picked up Halcyon and DUI distributorships because people in the shop wanted it.

My old LDS, on the other hand, can be problematic. I need to go there for some reg service. The first time I brought my singles reg in with a long hose and an Apeks backup, he told me that I'd screwed up the regulator. Eventually, he came around, but I really don't enjoy going there.

but I always give them first shout - if they can't supply or come up with a suitable alternative at a competetive price the usually mutter but know my business is worth hanging on to.....

Jonathan

Loyalty seems to be a big deal with most dive shops. Some take it personally if they see you with a piece of equipment or even a minor accessory that was purchased from another shop.
My LDS has been cool so far. He understands that no shop can carry every single brand and the customer has the right to buy stuff elsewhere.

No, never, they are cool about it.
My LDS knows that I do business with them for certifications and trips.
I purchased my gear online and they service them annually without any problem.
I guess they figured it out; I can take my gear somewhere else for service.

My LDS is right next door to where I work, he gets 99% of my business. He carries everything from basic beginner gear to techincal equipment. Once I got to know him, he allowed me to set up an interest free account. My dive buddy and I walked in one day and each bought about $800.00 worth of OMS gear, didn't put a penny down. His prices are the lowest in the area, so we have the best of both worlds, great prices and 0 interest.

I just returned from the LDS. I'm mad:upset: . I was asking him about a Suunto computer (vyper), since we are going on a trip and my wifes primary computer is about to die, I asked about the cost of renting one, he says " 120.00 per week" , Ill be gone for three, I say "how about one week rate, and we'll see if we like it", he says no, and "you should have booked the trip through me", I say "I would have liked to but you were $800. higher than I could get off the net" ,he says "that's my price", I say "that's $1600. dollars, I can't afford to give money out like that, that is another dive trip"!, he says that's my price, I say "it took me an hour to drive here, I want to do business with you", he says," that's my price".
I left, I'll be buying from LP. What advantage is it for him to try to stick it to me like that? :doctor:

All the more reason to shop on the net.
Caymaniac

Caymanic,
You didn't do one thing I would have done before I left. I would have invited this guy to kiss my :moon: :tree: Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom