LDS Scams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my lds they realy don't stock mutch but they can order whatever I want or need.
Most of the time they don't have my size in things but that's not there falt and I rather go small shop than Sport Shelet or a place were your just asking for it.
Also the lds I use (I hafta sey the name cuzz they are realy a good shop and are one of the pioneers of speer fishing ) Pacific sporting goods, Long Beach,CA. I think the shop was in Skin Diver magazine in like 1953 or so. I rather wait till they have what I need this way I support My community aswell

Josh In the LBC

I have no problem with any shop-owner pricing however they wish, provided it is truly their decision and they are not colluding with others to restrain pricing - not only for themselves, but also for their competition.

Genesis:
I have no problem with any shop-owner pricing however they wish, provided it is truly their decision and they are not colluding with others to restrain pricing - not only for themselves, but also for their competition.

Is it ever possible for something to be just what it appears to be? You're imagining the bogyman behind every tree and that's just not realistic. Read back over some of your posts, like the one quoted here. You're essentially saying that it doesn't matter if the lds is selling at a bargain price, there's probably some sinister reason for it. That's a crock. You're using gross hyperbole to discredit all dealers. Hyperbole is just a polite word for lying. dude. Get down off your high horse and give a little credit where due. There are some decent shop owners out there. Many of us can name names for you. Just because they're trying to earn a living doesn't make them dishonest or unscrupulous like you seem to want us to believe.

The worst thing most of them can be accused of is business naivete. They went into business either disregarding or unaware of the problems to be faced by a small businessman having to compete with the volume catalogue sellers and box shops. It's tough enough for them to compete without a vocal few like you shilling for the high volume competition.

It's fine for you that you have the werewithal to set up your own fill station, good for you. But that's not practical or even feasible for most folks. They haven't the time, money or space to do it, and frankly most of us don't use enough fills in our lifetime to justify the investment. For you to slam the shop operators who cater to the low volume divers like me is doing me no favour. The shop here in town has closed up. Last I heard he was still doing fills but rumour has it that might not be the case much longer. That means I'll need to drive 30 miles for air fills like I used to for Nitrox.

Instead of discouraging divers from supporting their lds, you'd actually be doing them a bigger favour by supporting lds's because in the end it may make the difference between having a local source for fills and not having it. Instead you choose to shill for the box shops and catalogue retailers at the expense of the lds who's actually working with the little guys in diving. Hopefully that helps you to understand why I don't appreciate your efforts.

JohnF

JohnF:
Is it ever possible for something to be just what it appears to be? You're imagining the bogyman behind every tree and that's just not realistic. Read back over some of your posts, like the one quoted here. You're essentially saying that it doesn't matter if the lds is selling at a bargain price, there's probably some sinister reason for it. That's a crock.

Did you actually read what was written? Of course not.

If a dealer is setting their own price, and not participating in a scheme to fix prices, then I have no issue with whatever free and open negotiated price they reach between themselves and their customers.

It is only when they participate in a scheme to artificially inflate the selling price by not only restraining their own price, but also participating in a scheme to keep the price at OTHER shops artificially high, that there is a problem.

If those dealers were to do this via a conference phone call, THEY WILL ALL BE IN PRISON, because that conduct is ILLEGAL.

Yet when they find some way aronud the black letter of the law, it suddenly becomes "ok" with you?

Its not for me.

Just because they're trying to earn a living doesn't make them dishonest or unscrupulous like you seem to want us to believe.
When they conspire to fix prices they are indeed dishonest and unscrupulous.
The worst thing most of them can be accused of is business naivete. They went into business either disregarding or unaware of the problems to be faced by a small businessman having to compete with the volume catalogue sellers and box shops. It's tough enough for them to compete without a vocal few like you shilling for the high volume competition.

I shill for nobody, except the consumer and fair dealing. If those who would conspire to do that which ought to land them in prison, and would land them in prison if the exact same effect was reached by slightly different means, are unhappy about this, that's just too bad.

There is nothing wrong with inciting a consumer revolt against manufacturers and dealers who conspire to fix retail prices, even if they have found a loophole in the law that allows them to do so without all going to prison. There is also nothing wrong with advocating - loudly and noisily - that the loophole be closed and that all of these people actually go to prison.

That an industry has found a way to evade the clear intent of the law doesn't make what they're doing right. It just means they're clever, and exploiting consumers. In this case it is my considered opinion that they're too clever by half, and they need to either suffer the consequences in the marketplace, the courthouse (if we can get the loopholes removed) or both.

I note (again) that Nine West (the woman's shoe maker) thought this law didn't apply to them too. Punch "Nine West Antitrust" into Google sometime. Or, for that matter, "Scuba Retailers Association Antitrust"; the latter was a trade assocaition to which many dive retailers belonged.

From the SRA complaint....
"The complaint further alleges that Scuba Retailers Association representatives told a popular diving magazine that its members would not carry the magazine in their stores if they accepted ads for scuba gear mail-order houses.Retail dive stores compete with mail-order vendors which often sell scuba diving equipment at a discount price. The Department alleges that as a result of the pressure from Scuba Retailers Association, the magazine decided not to accept mail-order ads.

Anne K. Bingaman, Assistant Attorney General in charge of the Antitrust Division, said "This action seeks to ensure that consumers can get scuba equipment through the mail as well as from dive shops.Those who participate in this popular and challenging sport deserve the best prices and quality a competitive market can deliver."

SRA no longer exists - but their practices and threats look awfully similar to what's going on now.

It's fine for you that you have the werewithal to set up your own fill station, good for you. But that's not practical or even feasible for most folks. They haven't the time, money or space to do it, and frankly most of us don't use enough fills in our lifetime to justify the investment. For you to slam the shop operators who cater to the low volume divers like me is doing me no favour. The shop here in town has closed up. Last I heard he was still doing fills but rumour has it that might not be the case much longer. That means I'll need to drive 30 miles for air fills like I used to for Nitrox.
On the contrary. Fills can be profitably sold at close to the price you're paying now, if not for the price you're paying now.

If there is demand, there will be supply.
Instead of discouraging divers from supporting their lds, you'd actually be doing them a bigger favour by supporting lds's because in the end it may make the difference between having a local source for fills and not having it. Instead you choose to shill for the box shops and catalogue retailers at the expense of the lds who's actually working with the little guys in diving. Hopefully that helps you to understand why I don't appreciate your efforts.

JohnF

There is no reason for divers to support those who are evading the clear intent of the law - a law that exists for the sole reason of protecting consumers.

This is like saying that we should have all rallied around the car dealers when they were fighting against the Mulroney stickers - because its oh so unfair to those poor car dealers that they should have to actually list the price of the car on the window!

The LDS I use most of the time seems to me to be very professional. I've been in there often enough now they know me, even though I've only taken my OW class, and haven't spent a lot of money yet. Just the basics (mask, fins, snorkel, boots).

While they don't carry most of the stuff I want to get to eventually move into tech diving, they were more than willing to discuss my options for what they do have, and in fact to tell me where to go to get what I wanted. For example, they don't sell any bp/w setups, but they can get them for me, and they did say that another shop on the other side of town has them in stock all the time.

To me, having a LDS where I can just go in and talk dive stuff and not feel the need to spend money has been far more valuable than any discount I'll get online. I pretty much have settled in there, and will be checking with them first on anything I buy to see if they've got it, if they can get it, or if I should go elsewhere.

Some of you may call me naive. Maybe I am. I'm new to the sport, and really having a good time easing my way into it. But I just wanted to give kudos to the guys I deal with.

By the way, the shop is Underwater Phantaseas (Tech Center) in Denver, Colorado. The website is http://www.underwaterphantaseas.com/ for anyone else in the local area who may not be happy with their shop.

Genesis:
Did you actually read what was written? Of course not.
!

Then it says something about you that you'd go on arguing with someone who you believe is not even responding to what you're saying. And if you don't believe I'm reading what you write then I might as well stop, now. That was easy, wasn't it. Now you can claim you won the debate because I quit. It's starting to sound silly, even to me.

I will admit one thing though. Some of your arguments are just convoluted enough that there might be a grain of truth hidden in the mess of chaff. I guess I'm just not good enough at winnowing out the kernels of wheat.

JohnF

Wijbrandus:
To me, having a LDS where I can just go in and talk dive stuff and not feel the need to spend money has been far more valuable than any discount I'll get online. I pretty much have settled in there, and will be checking with them first on anything I buy to see if they've got it, if they can get it, or if I should go elsewhere.

Some of you may call me naive. Maybe I am. I'm new to the sport, and really having a good time easing my way into it. But I just wanted to give kudos to the guys I deal with.

Thanks. That's the point I'm trying to make. For some of us having a local dive shop means more than just getting gear and fills and instruction.

JohnF

Since scuba diving first became popular in the 50's dive shops have come and gone and will continue to come and go until it actually becomes a business. In my opinion over 1/2 of the shops I see should close there doors and allow some volume to the real stores: IF the mfg and shops fix their marketing model. Their pricing and actions are not supporting the little guys, they are either pressured into doing things that they know is not right or they cant make ends meet and only last so long and they shut. Now you can blame Genesis or me or anyone else but until the lds and the mfg clean up and realize how business works and that mail order and the internet is here to stay, and divers are not just to be sold on intimidation and BS, you are just hiding from reality and hope you enjoy your microcosim.
How does scubatoys and fillexpress and others make it? You dont go into a business and open the door and "they" will come and toss money at you. You see what the market "is" and you approach it, not whine at your customers and through temper tantrams but I waste my time. Oh by the way all else fails there is this idea of clubs but nevermind.

quimby:
How does scubatoys and fillexpress and others make it? You dont go into a business and open the door and "they" will come and toss money at you. You see what the market "is" and you approach it, not whine at your customers and through temper tantrams but I waste my time. Oh by the way all else fails there is this idea of clubs but nevermind.

Fillexpress. Isn't that in Florida smack in the middle of some of the best diving in North America? It should be self evident why it would succeed.

I agree there are shops out there that might as well close. They're the ones who think "You go into a business and open the door and "they" will come and toss money at you". Too often it's made to seem like anybody who's not a box shop or a catalogue order house must be cheating the diving public. Is that your opinion too? Are you one of these people who think it's fine to go try on gear at the local shop and get free advice and then order from the catalogue to save a buck? Hopefully your principles about local shops extend to taking your chances on sizing etc when you order online, and that you're not one of these folks who demand warranty service on your discount dive gear from the local shop. Unless things have changed dramatically, there's not much profit for the dealer in warranty work. It's a necessary evil to support the products you sell.

I'm not a dealer, nor will I ever be a dealer. I did work for a few years on both sides of the counter when snowmobiles were having their moment of glory, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the difficulties of operating the small local shop.

JohnF

Rick Murchison:
When I pulled this thread after about three pages of whining, I felt it had no positive value to the diving community. We put it back up (sans my comments) and I see that after nine more pages of whining I haven't changed my mind.

So, we have a group of people "whining" over alleged failures
of those they do business with to deal honestly, a form of stealing from them.

Then, you chime in, similarly "whining" about what? About peoples' WORDS which you don't have to read. About their freely expressing themselves.

So, whose whining is more petulant and frivolous?

Look not to the mote in your brother's eye, when there is a log in yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom