LDS vs online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dunno if this topic is an old one, but I just wanted to know what is everyone's fellings about that...

I've bought a couple things online, and some others at my LDS... Of course, You can always have a better price when you shop online, but I always kinda feel like I'm cheating on my LDS.

I think a good (and reliable) shop is hard to find, especially in my area (Quebec) where the diving population is smaller than in warmer areas, and since business doesn't always look easy I always feel like I should support them instead of buying online...

Am I the only one to feel this way or am I just a dumb customer? :confused:

I go with my LSD on everything, but my camera stuff (I prefer online). I like my LDS, enjoy the planned dive trips, and feel like we should support a local retailer.

My local LDS went out of their way for me. I will always return the favor. Heck when the owner looks at me and says "You really do not need that" losing a $50-$100 sale says everything.

I can get everything serviced there, etc. Just a win win.

I do not begrudge anyone buying online but for me the customer service makes the sale not the sale price.

I feel a strong tie to my LDS as well and make the majority of my purchases there--especially those involving life support. I have no issue buying a wetsuit, camera, or other accessory on-line, but only if the price is much better than what I can get from the LDS. I do the research and make an informed decision taking warranty and shipping considerations into account. My LDS has been a great source of information to me, and will tell me straight out if it's something that I need or not, often costing them a sale, but maintaining my loyalty.

Dunno if this topic is an old one, but I just wanted to know what is everyone's fellings about that...

I've bought a couple things online, and some others at my LDS... Of course, You can always have a better price when you shop online, but I always kinda feel like I'm cheating on my LDS.

I think a good (and reliable) shop is hard to find, especially in my area (Quebec) where the diving population is smaller than in warmer areas, and since business doesn't always look easy I always feel like I should support them instead of buying online...

Am I the only one to feel this way or am I just a dumb customer? :confused:

of course you feel funny about it - basically you are cheating on your LDS with another man/woman/supplier :wink:

you feel guilty, you feel dishonest and you might feel a little bit dirty... but as the marvelous Ms Dolly said; money is like manure, it should be spread around so be honest with your LDS and see if they can cut you a deal. Ask for some add ins (ie fill card with a new tank or course or equip with a major purchase) to try to make it worth your while

you never know if you dont ask and if they cant help at least you were up front with them and you can save your pennies by buying elsewhere

cheers and good luck

Last edited:
I dont feel the same.
I actually dont use locals anymore because I feel they are cheating me out of my $.

I dont like "planned" dive trips because I can do the same thing and usually come out with an experience tuned for me. I dont do this sport to meet people or hang out. I do it to spend time underwater.

I get way better advice from the net by researching and gathering facts that are not going to be influenced by the shops ability to sell the product. Then if I am still on the fence, I will go to the shop and look at it in person.. see if I like it.. compare the price online + shipping vs the store and then decide which way to go. .Usually, online wins by a huge margin. The only time I dont see it winning is if I get another tank. Which I will drive to Florida to do. They are the cheapest I have ever seen. Plus I can visit with my Dad while I am there and maybe do some dives in Key Largo. Maybe see the Spiegel when I dont have 10ft swells to deal with. While it was fun, its not ideal!

I buy some of my gear used here on ScubaBoards but when I am buying something big new, I find the item I want and the best online price available. I take this to my LDS and then see if they'll come close or include something extra like a free accessory for said item or a specialty class or perhaps a free boat dive if it's a really big item. I am willing to pay a bit more for the LDS because mine gives out free air (you can bring in 2 tanks per day for a free air fill but you have to pay for nitrox) and I take advantage of their free shore dives so I feel I owe them something. At the same time, I rented from them for a very long time so I think they owe me a little for that. For small things like retractors, shears, or back up lights I just buy it from my LDS because it is convenient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom