LDS's going out of business very soon - help them out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba and Dream:
The only problem I see with this entire thing is that it screws independent instructors, such as myself...
ScubaBoard is hoping to unleash it's "Find an Instructor" section which will let users (many of which are non-divers) choose an instructor by locale, Agency, Traditional/On-line, and well... YOU get the picture. Instructors (not shops) will be listed and so independents who are in our I2I group will benefit from the best exposure on the planet. More details as we get ready to launch. :D

I was certified using the home study course. It was not online, but a DVD/CD and book version that taught the academic portions of the course prior to the pool sessions. You can learn at your own pace, which was good for me as I had a very tight timeline in which to get certified. All the knowledge reviews were covered by the instructor at the shop prior to the pool sessions. All I missed out on was a classroom environment (which some people do better in, and I believe will still be an option). I see the only difference being the course being available online versus the DVD format I received. It certainly helped my LDS to do it this way, otherwise I would have taken my cert classes somewhere else with a more convenient schedule.

TheTrickster:
I pretty sure, it will only benefit LDS actually....

I presume the way its paid for will be the same, you (new diver) pays the LDS, they pay padi, but instead of buying loads of packs/books etc, the LDS might now pay more for the PIC, but on top of the accreditation, PADI now give you a user for your student on the PADI website, which contains all the videos, interactive knowledge reviews, exam etc etc, which you can access to access how they are getting on? (and perhaps send the rdp/other material) straight to the student?

All this I'm guessing at, but from what I've read, I don't think I'm far off....?

If done right, I can see LDS's being a lot more busy with actual diving. Is this concept a good idea? It does beg the question - I'm sure time will tell...

Everybody laugh while you can or go buy your own compressor. PADI Instructors in particular, but all in general should be up in arms over this. If they had to select a store that would be fine but there is probably a no store option.The way this will work out is that PADI will be in direct competiton with their Instructor base. PADI will get paid directly by the student. PADI will issue a completion certificate. With the brevity of pool time/open water today the student will go directly to the resort and bypass the local Instructor/Dive Store altogether. No opportunity to sell the equipment, fewer students, guess what happens then.

This plays back to the equipment argument. Get it online cheaper. Same thing. Right?

Kevin Gonzalez:
Everybody laugh while you can or go buy your own compressor. PADI Instructors in particular, but all in general should be up in arms over this. If they had to select a store that would be fine but there is probably a no store option.The way this will work out is that PADI will be in direct competition with their Instructor base. PADI will get paid directly by the student. PADI will issue a completion certificate. With the brevity of pool time/open water today the student will go directly to the resort and bypass the local Instructor/Dive Store altogether. No opportunity to sell the equipment, fewer students, guess what happens then.

I disagree. What percentage of newly certified divers get their certs at a resort? Would you be willing to take what could be a dive vacation and spend it getting certified instead of "real" diving? And if more people are certified, does that not increase the LDS's customer base (web shopping is a different issue)?

Now if I had a PADI 5-star or otherwise affiliated shop, I would hope that PADI would somehow have a referral list based on the applicant's zip code. Something like "these 5 shops are closest to you". But that is an argument for the LDS's to make with PADI.

Kevin Gonzalez:
Everybody laugh while you can or go buy your own compressor. PADI Instructors in particular, but all in general should be up in arms over this. If they had to select a store that would be fine but there is probably a no store option.The way this will work out is that PADI will be in direct competiton with their Instructor base. PADI will get paid directly by the student. PADI will issue a completion certificate. With the brevity of pool time/open water today the student will go directly to the resort and bypass the local Instructor/Dive Store altogether. No opportunity to sell the equipment, fewer students, guess what happens then.

Kevin, if a participant goes onto the PADI website to sign up for eLearning, they MUST identify a dive store before they can complete the transaction. There will be no "no store" option. The other option is to choose a eLearning link from a dive store website. In that case, they skip the "choose a store" option, as the site owner automatically qualifies as the chosen store.

Someone else asked about the money. PADI will take the credit card payments from the customer and will deposit the store "profit" into the stores bank account.

Phil Ellis

merxlin:
I would hope that PADI would somehow have a referral list based on the applicant's zip code. Something like "these 5 shops are closest to you"

That is how eLearning will work. The students will type in their location. The website will then show a list of all the PADI facilities within 50 miles from the center of the location.

Kevin Gonzalez:
Everybody laugh while you can or go buy your own compressor. PADI Instructors in particular, but all in general should be up in arms over this.

Instead of getting "up in arms" about this, why not contact PADI and get some additional details on the program. I have every confidence that this program will work well, with the typical start-up problems. PADI will more to correct those problems as they arise. Running around like Chicken Little proclaiming that the sky is falling will not help anyone. This is the direction PADI is moving, they are moving there because their customers want them to do so. They are working to strengthen the position of the IRRC members. Give them a chance.

Phil Ellis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom