Leaking inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have two DSS wings, the LCD 30 and the LCD50. I'm very happy with both and love diving them.

However, on both wings, air bubbles out of the inflator when I push the inflator button under water. It's hard to tell, but it looks like it's coming out from behind the inflator button when it is depressed. When I release the button, the bubbles stop.

Is this supposed to be this way? If not, where can I get replacement o-rings? I do have the tool.

Thanks!

or, as you can see, a new one is 25 bucks.

Thank you, Randy, for the tip. There is no way I'm buying two new inflators, as both wings are only three years old, and I already had to replace the inflator hose on one of them, which was also leaking.

Btw, what is the difference between tribolube and cristolube? I would much prefer to use regular silicone grease, just because it's so much cheaper. Would that be a bad idea? I'm not using any high O2-mixes in my back gas, so I can't see why.

O-rings wear out over time. They should be replaced as needed. If there's any corrosion on the metal parts inside the power inflater, it should be cleaned off with a vinegar:water solution. A simple overhaul of the DSS power inflater should only take a few minutes.

Tobin has posted a very nice video which walks you through the steps of overhauling a DSS power inflater.

In the video, he lists the specs of the o-rings required for overhaul:
QD nipple: -011
Cartridge valve body: -112 and -012
Oral inflate hex: -110
Valve spool: two -006

You can order replacement o-rings from your preferred o-ring supplier. They cost a few cents apiece. I typically use EPDM o-rings with a 70A durometer. I've also used o-rings composed of different materials (Buna-N, Viton) and harder durometer (75-90 durometer).

Some people either don't bother to change out the o-rings or discover some damage to metal/plastic parts of the power inflater. If this is the case with your power inflater, you can purchase a brand new replacement power inflater from Scubatoys.com for $20. As of last week, they had one distributed by Trident in stock. It's identical to the one found on DSS wings.

Hope this helps...

Tribolube is a superior O2 safe lube.

Christo-Lube dries out over time which is why I don't like it. Fact is the Tribolube people used to work at Christo-Lube. They had a difference of opinion so a few of the folks broke away and created Tribolube.

They are similar products with the above exception.

Btw, what is the difference between tribolube and cristolube? I would much prefer to use regular silicone grease, just because it's so much cheaper. Would that be a bad idea? I'm not using any high O2-mixes in my back gas, so I can't see why.

Thank you, Randy, for the tip. There is no way I'm buying two new inflators, as both wings are only three years old,

Inflators are really a type of regulator, and few would expect regulators to perform indefinitely without service. The inflator is a simple device, and easy to service. We posted the inflator service video to allow our customers the option of performing this service themselves at very low cost.

I routinely flush my inflators with fresh water, and typically service the cartridge valves annually, but I dive ~ 2 or 3 times a week in salt water.

I prefer silicone grease as it is a better lubricant and there is zero need for a power inflator to be prepped for O2 service.

Tobin

As usual Tobin is absolutely correct.

I didn't mean to imply that the inflator had to be O2 clean at all. Mistakenly I mentioned Tribolube simply because that's what I have on hand at the moment because I'm rebuilding some regulators. That's the first lube that came to mind.

O-rings wear out over time. They should be replaced as needed. If there's any corrosion on the metal parts inside the power inflater, it should be cleaned off with a vinegar:water solution. A simple overhaul of the DSS power inflater should only take a few minutes.

Tobin has posted a very nice video which walks you through the steps of overhauling a DSS power inflater.

In the video, he lists the specs of the o-rings required for overhaul:
QD nipple: -011
Cartridge valve body: -112 and -012
Oral inflate hex: -110
Valve spool: two -006

You can order replacement o-rings from your preferred o-ring supplier. They cost a few cents apiece. I typically use EPDM o-rings with a 70A durometer. I've also used o-rings composed of different materials (Buna-N, Viton) and harder durometer (75-90 durometer).

Some people either don't bother to change out the o-rings or discover some damage to metal/plastic parts of the power inflater. If this is the case with your power inflater, you can purchase a brand new replacement power inflater from Scubatoys.com for $20. As of last week, they had one distributed by Trident in stock. It's identical to the one found on DSS wings.

Hope this helps...

Wow. This not only helps, this is a fantastic reference for the future. I'll print out your response and file it in my "Equipment and maintenance" folder. Thanks so much!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom