leaky valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure you can service the valve yourself,if you are wilLing to bet your life on the quality of your work. Remember this is life support gear.

....hmmm, Let's see. Trust my life to my own work, or trust my life to someone I do not know? I guess if I didn't have any confidence in myself, I would be forced to go with your solution.

c

If you have cash....... How on earth is this bad advise! How is fitting a better valve a bad thing?
Just what is it that makes you think that a ScubaPro valve is better than any other valve?
Sure you can service the valve yourself,if you are wilLing to bet your life on the quality of your work. Remember this is life support gear.
LIFE SUPPORT GEAR ... god but that sounds so officious :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Why is it bad advise? Because advising someone to replace an entire valve, when in all probability only an o-ring is needed, is tantamount to advising someone to buy a new car when he gets a flat tire.

Not too long ago if I needed to replace a light bulb on my car it was time to get a new car. I used to drive about 35,000 miles a year and sure enough a light bulb would go out at about 125,000 to 135,000 miles. To me it was a sign I needed a new car.

And as to fixing a leaking faucet, the faucet is harder to take apart.
This past Friday I started my annual tank cleaning process. I broke down nine valves to be cleaned, went to wash my hands only to find the faucet stuck. The valves were much easier and quicker to clean.
The funny thing about the faucet, I used o-rings from my stash and the ultrasonic cleaner to fix it. I now have an o2 cleaned hot water faucet if anybody needs one.

Jim breslin

The funny thing about the faucet, I used o-rings from my stash and the ultrasonic cleaner to fix it. I now have an o2 cleaned hot water faucet if anybody needs one.

Jim breslin

How does that work? I thought not o2 cleaning was what got you into hot water with high o2 mixes :wink:

What would you call a device designed to keep you alive at 140 feet.Its no officious its just the truth.Know what happens when an improperly installed,improperly sized,nicked or wrong material causes the seal to fail under a 3000 psi load.How about Putting a rubber O ring with silacone to be used with nitrox reg? What about screwing up the burst disc they are rated for different pressure.Not all people have the mechanical ability to change a flat tireWould you really want to encourage that person to rebuild a valve?

I call it a K-valve. It hardly keeps me alive, I keep myself alive. What happens? Im most cases the valve jams open or leaks and you will not know that there was a problem until you try to turn it off. How about putting silicone on an o-ring, if it never contacts more than 40% (officially) it's not an issue. If the burst disk is too small, it'll blow while you fill, if it's too large ... you're a cave diver, congratulations. If you can put a regulator on your rig and take it off you can service a valve ... if you can't do that, diving maybe a little too much for you. If it's too much trouble for you ... that's another story ... just have Jeeves take the valve down to the LDS in the Rolls, they'll fix it.

I call it a K-valve. It hardly keeps me alive, I keep myself alive. What happens? Im most cases the valve jams open or leaks and you will not know that there was a problem until you try to turn it off. How about putting silicone on an o-ring, if it never contacts more than 40% (officially) it's not an issue. If the burst disk is too small, it'll blow while you fill, if it's too large ... you're a cave diver, congratulations. If you can put a regulator on your rig and take it off you can service a valve ... if you can't do that, diving maybe a little too much for you. If it's too much trouble for you ... that's another story ... just have Jeeves take the valve down to the LDS in the Rolls, they'll fix it.

Amen. Learning a little more about your gear doing service on some of the things you can is all up-side. If you can't get it back together or you wonder if its right, have someone check it for you.

"Only" a hundred bucks for a valve? I have 4 tanks that I paid less than $75 each for, I'll be danged if I am going to put a $100 valve on a $50 tank when the old one is salvagable.

It's hard to believe some many people really think their life will end if they have an equipment failure.

Here's a bumper sticker version of effective marketing: You can sell anything with fear or sex.

What would you call a device designed to keep you alive at 140 feet.Its no officious its just the truth.Know what happens when an improperly installed,improperly sized,nicked or wrong material causes the seal to fail under a 3000 psi load.How about Putting a rubber O ring with silacone to be used with nitrox reg? What about screwing up the burst disc they are rated for different pressure.Not all people have the mechanical ability to change a flat tireWould you really want to encourage that person to rebuild a valve?

Yes, even a caveman can do it..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom