Learned Wrong...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Comments in this thread got me thinking about the problem of learning things that are wrong:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...03129-formal-education-option-obligation.html

This made me curious about what divers were taught that was wrong as opposed to incomplete, overly simplified, a different technique, or less efficient. I have trouble recalling anything that I discovered was wrong, with the possible exception of cutting an exhaust hose on a double hose regulator being deadly on episodes of Sea Hunt. :wink:

Sure I have heard things that were really wrong in conversations (and on this board), but they didn’t stand long before somebody steeped in with the, or at least a, right answer.

Last edited:
... I learned that a snorkel was an important piece of safety equipment ... :popcorn:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sure I have heard things that were really wrong in conversations (and on this board), but they didn’t stand long before somebody steeped in with the, or at least a, right answer.

Methinks you could re-word the OP along this sentiment and have a rip-roaring thread!

:idk:

That BPW and long hose were only for tech divers.
That you needed a computer for doing multiple multilevel dives
That nitrox tanks had to have those godawful big bumper stickers that you paid extra for every vis
That back inflates push your face in the water
That skills needed to be done on your knees during OW checkouts (or any other time during training for that matter)
That it was ok for students to swim single file behind the instructor
That you had to buy the most expensive reg, BC, fins, etc

All a crock o shiite!

was taught when the Capt (Fire Dept, non-diver head of dive team, 1980s) says "dive", that's what we did. NOT ANYMORE!!!!

I was taught by an instructor to turn my tank all the way on and then back a 1/4 turn. I know of two people (personally) now who have found it very hard to breath at depth by doing this.

How about this one, still in all the books,

Do not look at the fase of your SPG, it might blow in your face.

As a matter of fact, 99% of all SPGs have a (hard)plastic rekieve valve in the back, that will blow out in case of a failiure.
That will hurt you,not the glass/plastic face.

We were all told to buy the same amount of diver's gold (lead weight) regardless of our body shape and weight. Still have extra weight laying around after ow training.

Still in all the books,

Don't look at the face of your SPG when opening your valve ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom