Learned Wrong...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An interesting insight from 1978:

ASCENTS

Dr Glen Egstrom
University of California, Los Angeles

Ascents following the breathing of a compressed gas have been a major subject in every
Basic, Advanced and Instructors course since the inception of diving instruction.
As a result of whatever information was given, literally millions of safe ascents
have been made by the diver involved in the programs. All concerned have accepted
the fact that overpressure of the lung on ascent can result in damage which might
become life threatening. As the sport has become more sophisticated we have seen
a greater attention to the details and possible consequences of inappropriate
behaviour under nearly all conditions of participation with the gear. It is not at
all uncommon to recognize that the more one knows about something the more that person
recognizes the enormity of the remaining unknowns. The more we learn about ascents
the more complicated are the answers to questions about ascents. Today I believe
we are somewhat victimized by knowing a great deal and trying to provide ultimate
protection in an area where the mechanically perfect solution will always be subject
to the variables of human behaviour.

In my understanding of the problem I must say that I cannot foresee any solution to
the problem of ascending after breathing a compressed gas which will be completely
satisfactory if our goal is ultimate protection. In any systematic attempt to reach
“the” solution we will be faced with the knowledge that it will not provide for all
eventualities. We will be forced to consider “trade offs” which will hopefully put
the risk-benefit ratio into an acceptable framework. At this point I am forced to
point out that, to my knowledge, there have been no evaluations statistical or logical
which have developed an accident rate for any of the emergency procedures in our sport.
We are told of “increases” in incidence without any information pertaining to the
level of incidence for activity. Our recent exercise in legislation has shown us
the dangers of using only “failure” data in assessing risk.

I would submit that our practice of accepting or rejecting a course of action in
emergency procedures in general should be based upon an objective assessment of risk
vs benefit based upon actuarial data; or lacking such data, at least look at the number
of known problems against the background of estimates of participation based upon
data such as certifications, Skin Diver projections or other reasonable data base.
The following positions regarding this problem should be recognized as comparative
and not definitive. I do not believe sufficient data has been accumulated to take
a complete position.

Ascents can be identified as normal, in which case the diver is required to exhale
and ascent at a rate which will not cause a pressure differential great enough to
cause damage or abnormal in which the basic constraints are the same. It would appear
that our concern should be directed at maintaining a safe pressure gradient regardless
of any procedural choices. How we maintain this “safe” gradient under our selected
procedural variations becomes an important issue.

These procedural variations each have some rather apparent strengths and weaknesses.
“Normal” ascent - This practice presupposes that no gas trapping circumstances are
present and that the rate of ascent is compatible with the exhalation phase so that
a minimal pressure differential is present.

1. We have no requirement to assure that even beginners are checked for the absence
of gas trapping defects in their airways.

2. There is little training in the matter of safe ascent rate. Admonitions such
as “don’t ascent faster than the small bubbles” are given with little
reinforcement.

3. The checks to insure that divers “always exhale while ascending” is apparently
effective. The overwhelming majority of divers look up, exhale and ascend slowly
in a safe manner.

“Abnormal” ascent - This practice is undertaken in circumstances where an intervening
variable resulting in stress enters the picture. Low tank pressure, equipment
malfunction, loss of buddy contact, concern for personal safety, etc. are a few
examples.

1. The risk appears to stem from a loss of self control resulting in a too rapid
ascent rate. The crux of the problem appears to be the development of enough
self control and relaxation to insure that the diver will not permit a significant
pressure gradient to develop during the resolution of the problem.

2. Any technique which is used will ultimately depend upon self-control and an
effective level of training.

3. What we should first address ourselves to is the question of teaching safe
ascents, whether normal or abnormal. If venting is the problem we must teach
them to vent effectively, if ascent rate is the problem we must train for slower
ascent rates.

4. All alternative emergency procedures must be standardized, overlearned and
reinforced. I suspect that much of the stress involved in using any of the
emergency procedures is a result of a lack of confidence in the divers ability
to perform adequately.

Questions

1. Do we have a data base to deal with the problem objectively?

2. Are there standardized procedures for

a. low tank pressure and related problems?

b. buddy breathing?

c. use of the auxiliary 2nd stage?

3. Will either the single or dual second stage system operate effectively under
all conditions?

a. deep water

b. low tank pressure

c. two heavy breathers

d. cold water

4. Does the suggested procedure create more problems than it solves?

My investigations strongly suggest that the answer to all of the above questions is
NO! Thus it appears that the evaluation of any procedure should be responsive to
the question “Would the procedure be safe and effective if it were overlearned and
reinforced to the point where stress was minimized?

…My investigations strongly suggest that the answer to all of the above questions is NO!
1. Do we have a data base to deal with the problem objectively?...
OK, I agree.

…2. Are there standardized procedures for

a. low tank pressure and related problems?

b. buddy breathing?

c. use of the auxiliary 2nd stage?...

I would have to say arguable. Obviously “b” is nearly a lost art outside of the Military and us geezers. Now if the question were “Are there consistent and effective standardized procedures”, no contest… nothing has changed or has gotten worse.

…3. Will either the single or dual second stage system operate effectively under
all conditions?

a. deep water

b. low tank pressure

c. two heavy breathers

d. cold water…

I’d have to say “probably yes” today. Regulator performance and testing has come a long way.

…4. Does the suggested procedure create more problems than it solves?...

The question is for who?
  • The safety of all divers?
  • Lawyers advising certifying agencies?
  • Instructors who have two days to churn out divers?
  • Dive shop owners who feel that they can’t sell a course over $250?
  • Divers who aren’t willing to prepare more than have their regulator serviced before going to a tropical vacation?
  • Serious divers willing to invest in surviving emergencies?

OK, there’s a little tongue-in-cheek to my answers. On the serious side, I’m not sure I really understand the last sentences… especially the use of the word “overlearned”.

… Thus it appears that the evaluation of any procedure should be responsive to the question “Would the procedure be safe and effective if it were overlearned and reinforced to the point where stress was minimized?

Last edited:
On the serious side, I’m not sure I really understand the last sentences… especially the use of the word “overlearned”.
In context I take it to mean performing the procedure over and over until you can do it without even consciously thinking about it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Having you mask on your head resting on the surface while in full view of DM's and boat crews is prone to get the response of "dont do that! It's a sign of distress".

There are more obvious signs. The distressed divers I've encountered weren't wearing their mask on their forehead ... it was laying on the bottom somewhere. The diver was either trying to do the Jesus thing and walk on water, or attempting to turn whoever was trying to help them into an island.

If a diver is sitting calmly on the surface with their mask on their forehead, it's pretty safe to assume that they're not in immediate need of assistance.

At worst, MOF is a sign of bad form ... or merely personal preference ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In context I take it to mean performing the procedure over and over until you can do it without even consciously thinking about it ...

That was my first guess but a word like adequately would convey that more effectively in my mind. "Overlearned" implies excessive, unnecessary, or the point of detriment to me. I think an important point was missed, continued self-training or practicing. Aside from DCS considerations, there are individual limits to different techniques that change with age, conditioning, and health. Knowing your current limits and choosing to dive within them or take precautions to compensate (alternative gas supplies etc.) is a critical part of the decision.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
This "overlearning" thing is Glen harkening back to his seminal work that I often quote and have lost the reference for about 17 successful repetitions to assure 95% confidence that a complex skills will be performed properly.

Edit: I think I just found it: Bachrach, A. and G. Egstrom. 1987. Stress and Performance in Diving. Best Publishing Company, Flagstaff, AZ. p. 129-138.

Last edited:
This "overlearning" thing is Glen harkening back to his seminal work that I often quote and have lost the reference for about 17 successful repetitions to assure 95% confidence that a complex skills will be performed properly.

I'd only make a student do something that many times if they were struggling with it. I'm not into counting things ... I just want to see them do it like it ain't no big whoop. Show me that on the first attempt and we're moving on to other things. Show hesitation, or like it takes effort, or that they just really dislike it, and we're gonna be doing it again.

Everyone learns at their own pace, and what really tosses some folks into a tizzy will not phase others even a little bit. Confidence and competence are what I'm looking for ... and we'll keep going till I see it ... then we'll find something else to work on ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

…As worst, MOF is a sign of bad form ...

That is blasphemy to Sea Hunt Evangelists! Off with your head! :wink:

Actually, I am an agnostic on this subject. Your mask, do whatever you want with it. However, you better be a little more obvious if you expect me to get wet to drag your butt to the boat.

I'd only make a student do something that many times if they were struggling with it. I'm not into counting things ... I just want to see them do it like it ain't no big whoop. Show me that on the first attempt and we're moving on to other things. Show hesitation, or like it takes effort, or that they just really dislike it, and we're gonna be doing it again.

Everyone learns at their own pace, and what really tosses some folks into a tizzy will not phase others even a little bit. Confidence and competence are what I'm looking for ... and we'll keep going till I see it ... then we'll find something else to work on ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Glen would suggest (I'm sure) that seeing someone do something right on the first attempt is, from a Kinesiologist's viewpoint rather meaningless, especially when it comes to being able to predict that individual's ability to perform that task under pressure, without significant practice, at some time in the future. Your "moving on to other things" is, to my way of thinking (and to Glen's particular research on this issue) potentially harmful. Confidence can be installed in a student from your mouth to their ears ... nothing else is required, and that has nothing to do with competence, or with future predictable reproducibility (which is the real question here).

This "overlearning" thing is Glen harkening back to his seminal work that I often quote and have lost the reference for about 17 successful repetitions to assure 95% confidence that a complex skills will be performed properly...

I'd only make a student do something that many times if they were struggling with it…

OK, but would you tell a student that Dr. Egstrom recommends to practice it 16 more times if s/he wants to be 95% sure they won’t screw it up when the their life is on the line? I’m not sure that is the magic number, but it’s not a bad line.

It probably doesn’t matter if the debate is over buddy vs solo, deep bounce, technical, rebreather, saturation, free ascents, or snorkeling in a tide pool. The ultimate question we all must ask ourselves is:
Am I willing to bet my life on it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom