Least Favorite Piece of Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Booties. They stink and never dry.
I stopped using booties years ago. I dive OTBs (Over the Beach) boots that were designed for Navy Seals. They drain immediately and get fairly dry within the hour. If you want thermal protection with them, wear a neoprene sock. I'm about to try a new boot by Soft Science. I'll let you know in the next week or so, but so far I like them on dry land:

g?q=tbn:ANd9GcThLDhG4-dcRm6HAg0v-km0MuVFLvlyCATa1eVOwRBo8rIJ0yGPreHS6IG7eR708ZKMkE0tEEA&usqp=CAE.jpg

I stopped using booties years ago. I dive OTBs (Over the Beach) boots that were designed for Navy Seals. They drain immediately and get fairly dry within the hour. If you want thermal protection with them, wear a neoprene sock. I'm about to try a new boot by Soft Science. I'll let you know in the next week or so, but so far I like them on dry land:

I wonder how well these would work in the cold California waters? I despise my booties as well. Maybe get a thick neoprene sock to help stay warm.

For us it would be that pesky airline ticket home, have come to hate it and wish we could leave it behind.

A least favorite piece of equipment would also be a wet, cold wetsuit, donned on an open deck in a stiff, chilly wind.

I wonder how well these would work in the cold California waters? I despise my booties as well. Maybe get a thick neoprene sock to help stay warm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hombre

After WW11 prior JYC and his bubble machine invasion SoCal divers purchased WW11 surplus tennis shoes at 50 cents a pair from DoBoys war surplus in Bellflower to use with Churchill's and Bud Browns duck feet

A short time later Paley's War Surplus in LA received a huge supply of WW 11 "Coral Boots" which were sold for about the same price. They were made of white duck canvas, had drain holes and a enclosed sewn tongue.

The only drawback was a very slick smooth actually slick composition sole
But we used them-- with a reasonable about of success- in those halcyon days we didn't know the word dry or warm

Might try for a huge pair of tennis shoes with several layers of wool socks.

Good luck
sdm

Interesting about these boots with drain holes. Sounds like a great thing for land/sea military.

I wonder, how well would standard scuba boots or chuck taylors work if you drilled drain holes in them ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hombre

After WW11 prior JYC and his bubble machine invasion SoCal divers purchased WW11 surplus tennis shoes at 50 cents a pair from DoBoys war surplus in Bellflower to use with Churchill's and Bud Browns duck feet

A short time later Paley's War Surplus in LA received a huge supply of WW 11 "Coral Boots" which were sold for about the same price. They were made of white duck canvas, had drain holes and a enclosed sewn tongue.

The only drawback was a very slick smooth actually slick composition sole
But we used them-- with a reasonable about of success- in those halcyon days we didn't know the word dry or warm

Might try for a huge pair of tennis shoes with several layers of wool socks.

Good luck
sdm

Sam I love when I see you comment because I know I am about to get a history lesson!! Thank you for sharing more of the SoCal dive story and history.

Interesting about these boots with drain holes. Sounds like a great thing for land/sea military.

I wonder, how well would standard scuba boots or chuck taylors work if you drilled drain holes in them ?

I know one of my instructors dives his dry suit wearing Chucks.

PunkabillyTurk

Many of my posts represent the history of SoCal diving --Not diving in US which was a good generation or more in the future

After WW 11 early 1950s diving was basically confined to the US west coast LA, OC and SD counties-with a smattering of warm water vacation divers in eastern US-

SoCal was blessed with warn water (?) clear water and abundant game.
and an abundance adventuresome of athletic sun tanned youths.

sdm

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-19_13-16-7.png
    upload_2017-4-19_13-16-7.png
    150 KB · Views: 38
They work great with a drysuit and thick socks, so why not?

Back
Top Bottom