Least Favorite Piece of Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Towing a flag is so unappealing that I'd probably just not dive at all until I found a way around it.
Much like using a BC, towing a flag is a learned skill. It's not unusual for those without the skill to avoid using one! :D

I used to think a dive flag was a big problem until I'd done it a few times. Now it's not really that big of a deal. I'd prefer to not be towing one on most dives, but sometimes you need them. Kind of like deploying an SMB underwater, I think people make mountains out of molehills regarding flags.

I don't recall being asked to ever carry a flag on a dive where it didn't actually make sense to have a flag. I.e. there wasn't a reasonable chance of getting run over by boaters if they didn't see my flag. Carrying one in a quarry seems odd, unless there's a ton of boat traffic.

I'm not a huge fan of snorkels on the mask. Super annoying. I used a nautilus roll up snorkel for a while and later switched to just carrying a regular snorkel in my pocket if I'm diving in the ocean.

The whole tank thing has to be the biggest annoyance in my book. They're heavy.. have a limited supply of breathie stuff inside.. it's a bummer. I'll order of those magical diving gills devices after my firebolt 3000 broomstick arrives.

Regarding dive flags, I like finger spools for towing because they are a more user-friendly tool for me. Primary reels tangle or jam if you aren't careful. Finger spools are more forgiving and easier to manage. They also quickly clip to your rig or to an object on the bottom for a temporary hold if you need two free hands.

When possible, I leave the flag tied to something on the bottom and then run my primary reel or use pilotage to return to it. We do shore dives that take us beneath the shipping channel in the 1000 Islands. No flags are allowed in the channel without angering the USCG and getting the offender a hefty fine. DSMB's are a must have.

If you learn correct line running technique, these tools can be fun. If you want to learn to run line, ask a cave diver or cave diving instructor. Wreck and tech divers often have some unusual ways of doing things. It's an art. I signed up for cavern class to learn line work as much as to get into a new environment and it changed my life. I love working with reels, spools and bags and I love teaching the skills to divers at all levels. Line work is one of my most popular coaching sessions.

I suggest instructors with a cave background in line work offer such coaching sessions for the diving public to make life a little easier for divers.

Last edited:
I join many here in choosing the wetsuit - especially my think attached hood wetsuit. Tough to don & doff, you overheat if there's any delay in getting in the water, and I hate the feeling of the hood. Since getting it on and off is such a pain -- I will admit it -- I just go ahead and pee in it, so you have to make sure you clean it.

Although, I think that maybe the hood part is what bothers me the most. I don't really mind using a 2/3 fullsuit as much. Its easier to don and doff, and no hood. But the best is just a rashguard

The whole tank thing has to be the biggest annoyance in my book. They're heavy.. have a limited supply of breathie stuff inside.. it's a bummer. I'll order of those magical diving gills devices after my firebolt 3000 broomstick arrives.
If we're going to wish, wish big! Think how much easier diving would be if we didn't need tanks, or maybe if they were as small as the little tiny tanks James Bond used in the big underwater fight scene in Thunderball.

Yes! The hood. Followed closely by the drysuit.
Whaaat? I love my DS. It enables me to dive in 4C/sub-40F water and sub-freezing air while staying toasty warm. I've never met a WS diver on those dives. Even in the summer, they shiver and slowly turn blue while I chill - still toasty warm - in my undersuit during the SI.

Now don't get me started about those rattles and the guides who seem heck-bent on using them every two minutes...

Regarding dive flags, I like finger spools for towing because they are a more user-friendly tool for me.
Ditto... this past Saturday, @sphyon, his SO and myself dove Blue Heron Bridge. They were practicing with their sidemount rigs and me my SF2. He was supposed to pull the flag, and then we found ourselves all kitted up and someone (I promised @sphyon I wouldn't rat him out, do you didn't hear this from me) forgot one of the three flags we had with us in our vehicles. A quick look and I would guess that there were some 20+ flags going in the water. We blew it off and I can say there was never a moment when I wasn't in visual contact with someone towing a flag. kind of funny and I even saw two divers trying to untangle their flags. So sometimes, it's best to bend the rules a bit, especially when there's a flag traffic jam.

Whaaat? I love my DS. It enables me to dive in 4C/sub-40F water and sub-freezing air while staying toasty warm. I've never met a WS diver on those dives. Even in the summer, they shiver and slowly turn blue while I chill - still toasty warm - in my undersuit during the SI.

Sure, I like what it enables me to do. But, someday when they have thin wetsuits with heating coils built in and a C cell-sized battery pack that will run it all day, I'll definitely be switching to that! The DS, like the hood, is a necessary evil, in my book.

Wetsuit is my least favorite. Mind you, I love my specific wetsuit but if I didn't have to wear a 7 mil and feel so restricted I would be much happier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom