Leg cramps during dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

On my last two dives I've had leg cramps in my right calf. I've just read a thread in here on cramps from 2000, and it suggested bananas as a source of potassium, which is used for muscle control, and reduces cramping. Well purely by coincidence I had two bananas for breakfast yesterday, and I still cramped up about 30mins into the dive. I was able to manage it, but would rather not get them in the first place. I'm using a 7mm wetsuit in 52 degree water, with SpaceFrog paddle fins. Is cold a factor in cramps? I haven't seen it specifically mentioned anywhere.

Are there any suggested specific exercises or weight activities I could use to help prevent cramps? I'm going to try some stretches before my next dive, and I usually do about 90 min of cycling a week (used to be more but too busy with work lately). I'm also going to try an extra potassium supplement, or change my multivitamins to a higher potassium variety to see if that helps, but I'd like to be able to work on it in the gym as well. Any takers?

Ben

I do! As much as I can without needing to wet the wetty. Right up until we lock the car.

How tight is your wetsuit? Maybe that's it.

Install a P valve and hydrate well.... start a drinking binge (water) the night before.... we the wetty as much as possible. :D

Oh... and get some fins that you can frog kick with.

From what I recall from my nutrition classes apricots have more potassium than bananas. I have heard that cold contributes to cramps along with muscle fatigue. Have you been diving recently and frequently? If not, maybe this contributed to the muscle fatigue. Could be you were dealing with a current that was causing you to exert more effort. Also you may not have been as relaxed in your finning technique if its been awhile since you were diving.

If you're eating fairly healthy and already taking a vitamin/mineral suppliment I doubt seriously if you need to take anymore potassium suppliments.

I think your idea to do some stretching prior to diving is good.

Suggestions:

Swim for fitness (incluing some laps with fins on)

Pre-dive stretching

GYM: my wife is a physcial therapist -- she has me doing calf raises (standing with feet shoulder width apart on a step). raise yourself as high as you can on the balls of your feet and hold it for 10 seconds at the "peak". Come down slowly. I try and do about 4 sets of 10 of these.

If nothing works, you may want to take UP's suggestion of new fins....

thanks all,

large_diver - are those calf raises without any additional weights, etc - just lifting your own body weight?

My entire family has a tendancy to be plagued with leg cramps. I finally discovered that taking a high dose...calium/magnesium mineral supplement eleminates the problems ofr me. However, I get the idea this only happens when you dive...if that is so...check carefully to see if perhaps your wetsuit is tight and wrinkled behind your knees and interferring with circulation to your lower legs. That will certainly cause a problem.

Because of the nature of finning, the hamstrings (back of the thigh), gastrocnemius (calf) and abductor digiti (bottom of the foot) don't get the stretching they are accustomed to during walking or running, and are prone to cramping, especially in those folks who are accustomed to exercising but not finning a lot.
Dietary management can help, but the only reliable exercise/diet routine I know of to prevent cramps while finning with power for lengthy sessions is to put on the fins, get in the water and kick, kick, kick. Frequently.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom