Leg cramps during dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The physical therapist is right. Doing calf raises on a machine will eliminate cramps. Start out with no weight and move up. If you don't have a machine, it is possible to place a medium barbell on the shoulders, lean against a concrete wall and do the raises with toes on a block of wood. Either way, drop the heel below the block, on the upswing point the toes. This can be hazardous while using a wood block due to slip and fall, so be careful. It would be best if you had access to a gym and full equipment including the calf machine and a leg curl machine. Leg curls will mostly eliminate cramps in the leg bicep/hamstring within a few weeks. If you do a lot of swimming with fins, two or three times a week, you can reduce the weightlifting.

Mineral salts are the basis for advertising claims for Gatoraid. Nothing against it but your previous advice is good, too. A calcium/magnesium/potassium/phosphorus supplement(multi mineral cap) may well be of benefit. Perhaps more rarely, the problem can be due to deficiency of sodium chloride(table salt). Magnesium oxide is not easy to absorb. Try to find something with "glycinate" or "citrate", or "succinate" tagged on to the end. The herbal supplement gingko biloba is reputed to improve blood flow but I don't know if it would be of benefit to circulation in the lower extremity.

Regarding calf raises...

As devjr says you can start with no weight and work up from there. Definitely start with no weight for the type I describe, since holding each rep for 10 seconds is obviously different than just doing simple reps. I guarantee you'll feel the burn after a couple sets of these, even with no weight.

-LD

Well I've got two weeks before my next weekend of diving, so I'll let you know how it goes. I don't have access to a pool, but do have access to a full gym, so I'll give the calf raises and legs curls a whirl.

I live about 2 minutes from a beach, but if I went snorkelling there to exercise my legs, the rip is so fierce I'd find myself in the Farallons in about half an hour! Not to mention the local sealion and reputed associated great white population.

Try streaching your muscles thoroughly before you dive. Stand on a brick (or anything that's about 30CM higher than the ground) with your toes while leaning on a wall. Than try to reach for the ground with you heel. Should be be helpfull.

One of the universities in Texas did a study for their football players, and discovered Brazil nuts are a great source of potassium for leg cramps. Easy to keep with you on a dive boat too.

More stretches from my PT wife.....

Part 1 (calf):
Stand about 4-5 feet from a wall (varies depending on your stride length). Keep the foot of the leg you will be stretching flat on the floor while you step forward to the wall with the opposite leg(extend both arms against the wall as you get closer). Remember to keep the heel of the rear foot on the floor. Stretch slowly and gradually as low as you can comfortably go.

Part 2 (hamstring): As you finish part 1, keep your feet in their same position (1 close to the wall and one behind you) -- gently allow the heel of the foot behind you to raise off the floor (keep the ball of that foot on the floor) as you bend the knee so that your shin is parallel to the floor.

Enjoy

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Install a P valve and hydrate well.... start a drinking binge (water) the night before.... we the wetty as much as possible. :D

Another reason to not eat and read UP at the same time. :D

Just curious UP, how do you get by with your dry suit?

Originally posted by devjr
The herbal supplement gingko biloba is reputed to improve blood flow but I don't know if it would be of benefit to circulation in the lower extremity.

Ive been told that most of the "G" supplements (i.e. gingko biloba, genseng, etc.) work by thinning the blood. Some claim to improve memory, which is accomplished by an elevated oxygen content to the brain via increased blood flow due to thinner blood. Those with blood pressure related issues should consider this before using these type supplements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom