Legally Blind Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also tried bioptics when they made it legal here in AZ about two years ago. Like Doll Fin, I had several issues with it. The first was that, while I passed all the criteria (barely), I knew that any slight change in my vision would result in them pulling my license since we have to be tested yearly. I didn't want to become accustomed to driving only to have it taken away later. Also, I plan to move to FL anyway and it's not legal there at the moment. Then there was the cost. I shelled out 2 grand for the bioptics (non-refundable) and still would have had to fork out a fortune on two physical therapists. One to teach me to use the glasses and then another to teach me to drive with them. They each charged around $150.00 per hour! In the end, I decided that I'm used to the way things are at the moment. If they ever develop stem cell therapy to treat my condition, I'll be the first in line. Then my next stop will be the local Harley-Davidson dealer!

If they ever develop stem cell therapy to treat my condition, I'll be the first in line.

Heh, I'll fight you for your spot and I'm taller than you!! :p

(CRIP-FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl3:)

Well, I was in the other thread...

As my name implies, I only use one eye. Backpacking accident.

My biggest problem is depth perception. I look like a goof trying several times to grap an anchor line for a safety stop, or the bottom of the ladder...or trying to lobster hunt and everyone laughing because I'm still ten feet away from whatever I'm aiming at!

Ah well...we're all in the water and loving it though arent we? I'll just eat everyone else's lobster!!:D

Thanks for the insight! (Says the bunny of bad puns :D )

I had a legally blind (without his contacts) diver in one of my classes earlier this year. My problem was I kept forgetting he couldn't see, we do a lot of no mask work with eyes open so he wasn't wearing his contacts. I always tried to have a staff member positioned close to him to relay signals if I wasn't right next to him when we started an exercise. I'll never forget the time I was pulling "surprise" OOA's on the students by having a staff member come up to them, drop their reg and signal OOA. I had the LB student and when I dropped my reg and signalled he didn't respond....OOOPS! Forgot he's blind...again. Moved in closer and gave the signal and he executed the skill beautifully. I wondered if regularly forgetting he was blind was rude?
Ber :lilbunny:

I wondered if regularly forgetting he was blind was rude?
Ber :lilbunny:

No, it's actually a compliment in most cases. Lets us feel like you have enough confidence in us as people and DON'T just see the disability. To me, "rude" is when someone doesn't see anything BUT your disability and never lets you forget you are "different".

My own mother (RIP) would forget I am color blind sometimes - I remember once she asked me to "go upstairs and get my grey purse" and I said "Mom, you have about 2 dozen purses up there and, as far as I know, they are ALL grey!".

Question for you Doll Fin. While it is very possible that some one I know is colour blind, I have never found out that anyone I know is and I have always been very curious as to how they would perceve the world.

I know that the human eye can differentiate 256 shades of color and 256 shades of gray. To that end, I assume that you see the world in shades of gray. So if you had a box of crayons with their wrappers removed, spread out in frount of you, you would be able to tell a lighter colour like yellow from a darker colour like blue by the shade of gray, but not brown from blue. Is that about right? When you were younger and drew pictures, would you check to make sure you had the correct colour, or just use which ever shade made the picture look best to you? I would think the latter would result in some very interesting abstract art.

If I am out of line, feel free to tell me off, and my apologies if I have caused any offence.

I cannot begin to speak for Doll Fin on color blindness because I suspect her situation is different from the one I'm about to describe, but I have a friend who is red/green color blind.

I asked him if it was like seeing human blood at about 15' on a clear water day which, for anyone who's seen it, is bizarre since I really can't tell what color it is even though I *know* it's red, the color absorption also makes it look green. He said absolutely not. His example was that if I heard a note played on a piano and then a couple of other notes right after I'd know which was the original note and which ones were different BUT if a series of notes was played a week later and I was asked to say which was the original, I'd likely be guessing at best. I think I get it, but it's still weird to me.

BTW, go Duane and Laura! I didn't know you all had worked with visually impaired divers. I can imagine that being a challenge. I'm due for a fun-dive soon, I might be calling you.

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom