Leisure Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the final analysis, with so many different dive gear buying options, the consumer wins-which is a good thing!

I've bought many things from LP over the years. Never had any problems. Having said that, I've developed a good relationship with my LDS, were I buy most of my more exspensive gear. They have always been very good about working with me on prices, evan to the point of matching LP prices in alot of cases. Ask your LDS about better prices, they may be willing to help.

While my husband and I bought some of our equipment from our LDS we also purchased some from Leisure Pro. We have had no problems at all with the gear we bought from them and saved a lot of money along the way. JMHO.

mrjimboalaska:
I'm an LP buyer, Don't get me wrong, I try to kick some $$$ to my LDS every now and then, but since they took 6 weeks(and many excuses) to service my regs, I can send them to Genesis and get them back in 2 weeks, where is the benefit?......

I have gone through 3 LDS's to find the right one. I am blessed by the large number of them in my area. If you don't like their service go to another if you can.

After price, most people look at service. I have made purchases with both shops. ScubaToys ships the product fast. ScubaToys is more centrally located in the middle of the country. I prefer ScubaToys for most items

One thing I have noticed! I have never lived in the midwest, "fly-over country", a snotty reference made by the LA/NY/east coast crowd.....but you can get no better customer service, region-wise. If all things are equal (like my Halcyon issue), I find a midwest dealer and have never been dissapointed. Something about the work ethic there just is very consistent when it comes to customer service. (think Ikelite, etc)

Often I go on websites "locate dealer" and pick a midwestern location. (There I go, profiling again!) We are hurting here on Oahu in the retail category to be honest. Local business is not really valued due to the transient nature of the market, tourists flooding in every day.

LP has always been reliable and inexpensive for me....I plan to use Scubatoys or Phil's company in the future. The Aqualung thing and the way he has spoken up and gone out on a limb have impressed me. It can be a cut throat industry, IMO. Nice to see some ethics and logic.

Buying from LeisurePro is no problem. Just, don't be the person, who goes to your local dive shop, picks the the salesman/divemaster's brain for an hour about the pros and cons of every model, walks out, and then buys it over the internet.

If you buy online, you should do your research online.

Local diveshops are being killed by people who waste their time getting the best professional advice about products and then taking their business elsewhere.

the people in the shops here don't know much anyway, so that should not be a problem. Living in Hawaii? making minimum wage? how much can they really know at 20 years old working part time? You are lucky if they know what an inflator is. You are not really wasting their time, they are usually learning just getting the chance to have a conversation with a diver. I have not noticed customers bringing their illustrious careers to a screeching halt. Yea, haven't seen them abused as a resource much, to be honest.

Normally, on Oahu, they are just something to walk around. With a couple noted exceptions. "best professional advice"...never had any from a diveshop employee ever. Now, boat captains, Instructors...different story. Shop employees just push what they want to sell you..like getting real estate advice from a realtor...yikes.

probably your best source of advice is right here on SB.

NYC-Diver:
Buying from LeisurePro is no problem. Just, don't be the person, who goes to your local dive shop, picks the the salesman/divemaster's brain for an hour about the pros and cons of every model, walks out, and then buys it over the internet.

If you buy online, you should do your research online.

Local diveshops are being killed by people who waste their time getting the best professional advice about products and then taking their business elsewhere.

I agree you shouldn't walk into an LDS and pick the salesperson's brain, but for a different reason. Usually, all they know about is the limited supply of gear they carry in the shop. They will talk down the brands they don't carry. How is this "the best professional advice"? It's biased and often wrong just because they're trying to make a sale. I agree, do your research on line. And talk to other divers. That's where you'll get the best advice.

Back
Top Bottom