Leisure Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've ordered a lot of gear from Larry and Joe.
They either match or go a little lower than leisurepro.com
The great thing about Scubatoys.com is that as a SB member you get extra discounts.

Dude you can't blame them if they run out of stock of something.

I also think that scubatoys is great; but no one is perfect. Managing so many sku's on a website is not an easy task, and I doubt that Larry and Joe would use a discontinued/out of stock item to "sell up." They're more apt to ask you why you think you need something that might be superfluous.

I've had good experiences with scubatoys, scuba.com, and joediver.com. The only unsatisfactory online purchase I've made was with bestonlinescuba.com. They should take a lesson in customer service from the others. I've added Phil Ellis's website to my shopping comparisons, because he seems to be a stand-up kind of guy.

Actually what happened in this case is we had a bunch of sales over the holiday weekend, and the particular size of that Tusa BC... we ran out of. Tusa is bringing out the new version of it on the 15th of this month... and we will gladly substitute the new version (which retails for about $50 more) at no charge, or offered to maybe switch to a Zeagle Brigade... which would actually be $25 less money...

If Andriy wants to give a call and as for Joe or Larry, we'll be more than happy to work out whatever we can to makes sure you get a product you like at a good price - we just ran out of that one before we took the size off the web... Sorry.

But a bait and switch would be shoot a low ball price on something and try to talk you up in price. The zeagle brigade would actually be less! Or we can cut you a special deal on any other BC you'd be interested in. That's how we do business... Just an honest mistake due to the holiday that I hope you won't hold against us.

scubatoys:
Actually what happened in this case is we had a bunch of sales over the holiday weekend, and the particular size of that Tusa BC... we ran out of. Tusa is bringing out the new version of it on the 15th of this month... and we will gladly substitute the new version (which retails for about $50 more) at no charge, or offered to maybe switch to a Zeagle Brigade... which would actually be $25 less money...

If Andriy wants to give a call and as for Joe or Larry, we'll be more than happy to work out whatever we can to makes sure you get a product you like at a good price - we just ran out of that one before we took the size off the web... Sorry.

But a bait and switch would be shoot a low ball price on something and try to talk you up in price. The zeagle brigade would actually be less! Or we can cut you a special deal on any other BC you'd be interested in. That's how we do business... Just an honest mistake due to the holiday that I hope you won't hold against us.

Before websites there were catalogs sent by mail. I recall several times ordering from a catalog only to be informed the item was no longer available.
I guess that's one of the downsides of the instant internet, that there's an expectation everything happens in realtime.

Well, hopefully the poster will call back, maybe they'll save some money and get a better product :wink:

I wonder how a reseller can get items (bulk quantities too) and sell them if they are not an "authorized" dealer.....hmmmmm..........Is it kinda like "grey-market rolex watches?

For me, it's all about geographic location. LP is king yet again. I ordered 2 new tanks, and a set of OMS bands. Standard UPS is one day, and the total was 375 bucks. Add a sea elite manifold from Divers Supply, (150$ shipped) and you have a nice little set of AL doubles for about 500 clams. The same setup locally is nearly 800. If Larry were a little closer, he would have my buisness. But the shipping cost would be a little more, and like I said, place an order before 2pm, and it's on my doorstep by 3pm the following day with standard shipping. On a different note, Divers Supply has also treated me VERY well on every transaction made. They could'nt be nicer, or more patient on the phone, and it's where i go for any sea elite stuff I need. Where else can you buy a good manifold for 135 bucks? I have 4 of them, 2 being used, and 2 just because the price was right. Not to mention the can lights they were selling under the sea elite name (salvo) for 435$. Tough act to follow!

I like working with ScubaToys, also.

ST's pricing, coupled with the ScubaBoard member discount easily offsets the shipping charges.

Plus, the 8% sales tax on higher end gear is generally considerably more than shipping charges.

the K

Babydamulag:
I wonder how a reseller can get items (bulk quantities too) and sell them if they are not an "authorized" dealer.....hmmmmm..........Is it kinda like "grey-market rolex watches?
There is a current thread that has the grey market as one of the key points. The original thread was pulled, because Aqualung threatened to sue a dealer that they eliminated if he kept complaining about them on the board. He was trying to compete in an unfair marketplace, and sold things below the mandated "minimum sales price" set down by Aqualung. In the meantime, Aqualung lets LP do whatever they want, using the excuse that LP is an unauthorized dealer; but it seems that they've done nothing to stem the flow of goods to LP, or other grey market sellers. Many of us have filed complaints with the FTC to try to get them to put a stop to what we feel is an unlawful control of retail prices (price fixing). We don't care if LP sells things without a warranty, but the LDS and other retailers should be able to compete, and sell things at a discount if they feel it is right for their business. It's called free enterprise.

Here's a link to the thread:
http://74.52.40.173/showthread.php?t=141594

After a number of years away from diving I am back and later last year I started to look for new gear, since then I live in Taiwan and due to the lack of quality LDS' (and inflated prices) here I decided I would purchase my new gear in N. America. I have used LP twice in person, Scubatoys twice (online) and another online vendor twice. I pass through NYC on occasion so for me to actually touch and feel the gear I see online or in magazines LP was a no-brainer for me. I have been to a few other stores in NYC and found the prices high and the staff not so friendly. On my few visits to LP they have been easy to deal with (although I feel you need to know a little of what you want or understand gear a little more at LP as the salesmen are salesmen and not necessarily divers) having said that I have no problems shopping there. My experiences with scubatoys have been top notch. I had one order shipped to NYC and another to Taiwan which I must say was great, the shipping charges were quite low and I received the package in 3 days (in time for a liveaboard trip to Thailand). On the phone they were extremely helpful and made sure I got what I wanted and needed (I bought a BCD and a computer plus a few small thingies).

Since I live in Taiwan and do not trust the local LDS at all, I have a little choice but to use online vendors. I did research and picked scubatoys and LP(this one because I can go in the store and price). Next I want to buy a new reg, I currently have a dacor viper america (I am sure I will get negative comments for this but I bought it as a temporary reg as it was very very cheap about $90 new so if I get one year out of it I will be happy) but because of warranty issues for online I am not sure what to buy next. I spend time throughout South Easy Asia so potentially I would get my reg serviced in different places so ease of getting service is an issue for me.

Just my experiences online!!

you are right, and because of that

I tried to order what I needed today from Scubatoys (I will try again) but they do not carry Suunto item I needed. Suunto is the only thing Aqualung reps that I want. (the titanium band)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom