Leisurepro online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know I paid about $200 more for my first BC from the LDS than I would have paid on-line.

Were I being sensible about things, I would have bought on-line rather than overpay by $200.

Were I REALLY sensible, I would have bought used, and probably saved over $400.

Then the question becomes is that $200 savings worth the lack of warranty?

Then the question becomes is that $200 savings worth the lack of warranty?
Well, let's see...if you can buy for $500 "without warranty" or "with warranty" for $700, then you're paying about 40% more for that warranty - almost half the cost of an entirely new item. That's a pretty damned expensive warranty.

5 years and 80 some dives later - my BCD looks, more or less, brand new and I've never had a problem. But I suppose I COULD have had a problem. Is it worth 40% more for that possibility?? No, I don't think so.

But even so, let's not forget that an outfit like LP usually provides a warranty of some kind anyway - so it's not even a fair comparison. Now you're paying that 40% more for something other than simply an over-priced warranty anyway.

I buy 95% of all my gear from my local LDS because they have it in stock and I am impatient and impulsive when it comes to shopping for something I want. When they don't have it in stock, I log on to find the item since it will have to be ordered regardless of where I buy it, and online will almost always be cheaper.

Post 74 to this totally useless thread! Yay!

We've hit 75 in this meaningless mumbo jumbo thread!

How do you buy a BC without trying it on?

How do you buy a BC without trying it on?

Just how much good do you think trying it on in a showroom does if you can't rig it up and get in the water for a test drive. You're not going to find many shops that will let you get it wet before you buy it. Sizing is really pretty easy. Either use the manufacturer's size chart or, better yet, go with the one-size-fits-all BP & wing.

80....Hooray!

(Talk about a useless thread with no value. Note that the OP has jumped overboard with boredom.)

Back
Top Bottom