LeisurePro purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There you have it, another LDS springing up.

I suspect it is just a matter of time before the more successful and innovative online shops start sponsoring local clubs. I expect we will see them developing club models and providing technical and maybe even financial assistance so the clubs will be able to provide training, gas, service, and gear at very competitive prices. Biggest difference is there won't be any local store owners trying to make a living doing it. And the big benefit to the online dealer is the increases gear sales to affiliated club members. And members will enjoy most of the benefits of a goods LDS with a lowest price guarantee.

Another nail for the LDS coffin?

That's simpler than it sounds buy a compressor from a online dealer once delivered effectively you have purchased your airfills online.

BWAAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

If I could do that, I wouldn't need you or a cert.

I'm not blaming you, in fact you have a very valid reason to buy online. Me, I cannot afford LDS prices and don't want to waive warranty. So I have NO PLACE to buy.

It's just that due to economy, more people are waiving warranty buying GRAY MARKET goods.

I can buy "authorized" online but the cost is very near LDS price.

This is all still just tomato tomotto
And I still can't get wet!!!!!

I guess you have never call LP and have them really package the items they are authoized to sell that you want. BIG MISTAKE, a phone call can save you some money.

true enough as LP and Scubatoys both are authorized for selling products that they are not authorized to sell online so calling them can result in better deals and products you didn't know they carried. Another note is the price wars going on online. Several times I have contacted Scubatoys and got a cheaper price on products than what they have advertised and the same goes for LP.

in the past 2 years I spent maybe $2000 at the LDS' (all combined), LP has about maybe $6500, Scubatoys maybe $2000, Dive Rite Express at least $4000, misc other online websites take a good $2000-$3000 (ebay, scuba.com, etc). Plus I have spent about $1500 on non scuba products that got utilized for diving like my gear rack, DIY components, etc. I buy most everything online and soon with getting certified for VIP hopefully this year and starting my own reg servicing I wont need the LDS. I strongly encourage others to buy online if its clearly a better solution but you need the shops for training usually and owning a compressor should be a goal for all serious divers.

OXY- cost should not keep you out of the water, I am in debt over my eyeballs and working a dead end job but I still figure out ways to pay for gear, you would be surprised how fast your money can add up. For example I took $100 from each paycheck and any money from overtime or selling stuff and put into a fund for a drysuit as soon as I came back from cave class. So I started saving around the 20th of march and I have $1600 already. Thats about 5-8 hours over time each weeks and sellginabout $500 in stuff, although the math doesn't add up I have not stirred from my routine but if I find an extra dollar in a pocket it goes straight to the jar. only another $1800 to go and I will have a fusion drysuit, argon inflation system, undergarments, and drygloves and larger fins.

true enough as LP and Scubatoys both are authorized for selling products that they are not authorized to sell online so calling them can result in better deals and products you didn't know they carried. Another note is the price wars going on online. Several times I have contacted Scubatoys and got a cheaper price on products than what they have advertised and the same goes for LP.

in the past 2 years I spent maybe $2000 at the LDS' (all combined), LP has about maybe $6500, Scubatoys maybe $2000, Dive Rite Express at least $4000, misc other online websites take a good $2000-$3000 (ebay, scuba.com, etc). Plus I have spent about $1500 on non scuba products that got utilized for diving like my gear rack, DIY components, etc. I buy most everything online and soon with getting certified for VIP hopefully this year and starting my own reg servicing I wont need the LDS. I strongly encourage others to buy online if its clearly a better solution but you need the shops for training usually and owning a compressor should be a goal for all serious divers.

OXY- cost should not keep you out of the water, I am in debt over my eyeballs and working a dead end job but I still figure out ways to pay for gear, you would be surprised how fast your money can add up. For example I took $100 from each paycheck and any money from overtime or selling stuff and put into a fund for a drysuit as soon as I came back from cave class. So I started saving around the 20th of march and I have $1600 already. Thats about 5-8 hours over time each weeks and sellginabout $500 in stuff, although the math doesn't add up I have not stirred from my routine but if I find an extra dollar in a pocket it goes straight to the jar. only another $1800 to go and I will have a fusion drysuit, argon inflation system, undergarments, and drygloves and larger fins.

Oh god, you should be a scuba addict not a senior member. For that money you could buy a really nice motorcycle or a down payment on a nice car. Good for you, you love your hobby.

Last edited:
Oh god, you should be a scuba addict not a senior member. For that money you could buy a really nice motorcycle or a down payment on a nice car. Good for you, you love your hobby.

I'ma cry! I'm making $300 mo Harley payments only I'm using UI benefits to do it. I was laid off so I cannot afford SCUBA gear. I was made an offer by an insurance co. to settle a claim and was planning on using part of that to get a cert and gear.

I'm not ready to sell the bike just to get wet but I do have a car i'll sell.

I wasn't looking to SCUBA as a hobby rather another avenue for employment. I do live a barefoot walk from lots and lots of water.

P.S. just came back from the surf, warmer but still too cold to stay in more than 5 min.
Is a 7mm suit gonna be warm enuf?

BWAAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

If I could do that, I wouldn't need you or a cert.

:11:
Did I really say that? Prices ARE getting to me
before someone asks
The answer is no, I do not aspire to be an outlaw diver, the tanks would cover up the colors and that is just wrong.

Woooooooh slow donw a second so I can catch up. Using scuba as another employment opportunity is about at cheap and easy as... well I cant think of anything to say but its not cheap or easy.

I thought the same thing and so has probably 50-60% of diving beginners but look at the reality here.

First off most people outside commercial diving (a whole other monster) dont make much as being a diving professional although there are a couple people who do well (maybe 1-2%) the vast majority would make more working full time at home depot.

The second hold up is qualifications. I asked a friend and former dive shop owner what it would take just for me to work for free on his charter boat in exchange for the opportunity to dive on some of the trips. I was told I needed a minimum of dive master with a pile of other side certs like advanced nitrox/deco, first responder, etc and a dive instructor rating would be better and on top of that I needed a minim US coast guard captains license for the appropriate boat size (100 ton was what he suggested). Thats like 3-5 years worth of stacking up experience and training just to get in some free or cheap diving and not even getting paid for the work.

So break down that into your cost analysis and see how cost effective it is.

I am currently a MMD meaning I have the ability to get a job on a boat to work towards a captains license but that takes time and only time but I cant even get a boat job right now.

Than try and get in dive time while your gone all the time working for that captains license. Its my personal opinion that anyone who wants to teach diving had better be darn good and that only comes with time too so stack on another 250-500 dives for a good number to make it to an instructor. if your currently paying for air you might as well buy a compressor (and get a certification for doing valve rebuilds, regulator repair, and tank VIP's while your at it cause it would likely be cheaper).

I dont want to burst your bubble but using scuba as another job to turn to just isn't viable without some serious commitment of both time and money.

Woooooooh slow donw a second so I can catch up. Using scuba as another employment opportunity is about at cheap and easy as... well I cant think of anything to say but its not cheap or easy.

I thought the same thing and so has probably 50-60% of diving beginners but look at the reality here.

First off most people outside commercial diving (a whole other monster) dont make much as being a diving professional although there are a couple people who do well (maybe 1-2%) the vast majority would make more working full time at home depot.

The second hold up is qualifications. I asked a friend and former dive shop owner what it would take just for me to work for free on his charter boat in exchange for the opportunity to dive on some of the trips. I was told I needed a minimum of dive master with a pile of other side certs like advanced nitrox/deco, first responder, etc and a dive instructor rating would be better and on top of that I needed a minim US coast guard captains license for the appropriate boat size (100 ton was what he suggested). Thats like 3-5 years worth of stacking up experience and training just to get in some free or cheap diving and not even getting paid for the work.

So break down that into your cost analysis and see how cost effective it is.

I am currently a MMD meaning I have the ability to get a job on a boat to work towards a captains license but that takes time and only time but I cant even get a boat job right now.

Than try and get in dive time while your gone all the time working for that captains license. Its my personal opinion that anyone who wants to teach diving had better be darn good and that only comes with time too so stack on another 250-500 dives for a good number to make it to an instructor. if your currently paying for air you might as well buy a compressor (and get a certification for doing valve rebuilds, regulator repair, and tank VIP's while your at it cause it would likely be cheaper).

I dont want to burst your bubble but using scuba as another job to turn to just isn't viable without some serious commitment of both time and money.

HUH? I am lost where does this come form?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom