Lemon Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was out with JDC on12/28/07 and 12/30/07 on Area 51,during that dive I saw a number of Lemon Sharks, Nurse Sharks and a Reef shark with a couple of Grouper. The Lemons come to Jupiter because of the current, it is easier for them to mate under heavy current you will see a couple here or there until the current gets strong then you will see loads of them. I dove on both boats and both Captains are top notch as well as the two DMs I dove with Angie and Kimberly both were excellent. The conditions I had were great water temps in the high seventies with visibility near 100 ft.

Jupiter Dive Center is the one you want to talk to. They have been seeing small groups as of late including 5 big ones yesterday.

Jupiter Dive Center, Scuba diving lessons at a PADI 5 Star facility, daily scuba diving trips in Jupiter, Florida.
Yes and Yes -

Excellent operator and the DM's are great - boat captains too, especially Cap't Mike

Plus, the boat docks steps from the shop - I drive up from Miami 2 - 4 times a month to dive with them year round - $60 per trip - just went up $5 Jan 1st- but if you buy a 5 dive card, you get the 6th free - I can't say enough about them - truly organized, experienced, and professional!! No extra charge to see the lemons; just no assurance you will see large groups; heck its the ocean so no assurances of anything.

For large animal encounters, Jupiter is the best place in Fl because the Gulfstream comes close and brings them in - I'm told its closest in JUpiter, but also heard that off Stuart, which is 20 miles up the road -

Last Sunday, we saw 3 lemons on Captain Mike's (its a site close to Area 51, a/k/a Juno High Ledge) - no huge aggregations yet but still a great dive - also saw 3 reef sharks, 2 loggerheads, eels, goliath's - maybe not the Great Barrier Reef but fantastic and much cheaper and easier to get to; had +/- 75 ft of visibility on the 1st dive, less on the 2nd - h20 temp 74 - 75 per my computer

The diving is fairly hassle free - its all drift; no navigation skills needed; surface and the boat picks you up - and the diving often can be world class for big animals.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Yea...OK....sure....:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Your right I made it up cuz I thought it was entertaining. Glad you got a laugh out of it.

There are people of all different skill levels reading these posts so you want them to be aware that sharks can be aggressive in certain situations especially during mating season and/or when there is blood in the water...

If anyone would like the link to the dive reports you can PM me for them as they are located on a different scuba board and I do not know this site's policy on linking to the competition.

Good diving to all

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Yea...OK....sure....:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Here is a report from a DM for Jupiter Dive Center posted on another board

Shark fight story: Will, one of our deckhands, got to dive today for fun. He shot a gag grouper on Capt. Mikes and immediately a large bull came and took off with his fish, spear shaft and all. Since Will has a line attached from shaft to gun, he was getting dragged down the reef by the bull. So he did what any sensible spearo would do in such conditions. He cut the line and the the shark disappeared with the fish and spear. So if you see a bull shark carrying around a spear shaft, it belongs to Will and he would like it back. He got another grouper and was chased to the surface by lemon sharks. Capt. Mike (the actual captain of the boat, not the dive site) could see lemon shark fins breaking the surface around Will. Will and grouper made it safely to the boat. Chuck and I have a small slab of grouper for dinner. Thanks for sharing Will.

So they are there and can be a bit aggressive mybee more than you think :no

Of course they are there and when you shoot fish, yes they will be very interested especially in larger groups. Even individually, a Bull Shark is virtually fearless of a diver, more so when that diver has a maimed or dead fish. Soooooooo.... spear fishing during the time when hundreds or thousands of Lemon Sharks are in the area may not exactly be 'wise' unless your goal is to do shark feeding but thats illegal from what I understand. As for biting divers? I doubt that. The news would be making a huge deal of that. Biting other sharks? More likely, they bite during the mating process.. its a bit goth don't you think? :)

Here is a report from a DM for Jupiter Dive Center posted on another board

Shark fight story: Will, one of our deckhands, got to dive today for fun. He shot a gag grouper on Capt. Mikes and immediately a large bull came and took off with his fish, spear shaft and all. Since Will has a line attached from shaft to gun, he was getting dragged down the reef by the bull. So he did what any sensible spearo would do in such conditions. He cut the line and the the shark disappeared with the fish and spear. So if you see a bull shark carrying around a spear shaft, it belongs to Will and he would like it back. He got another grouper and was chased to the surface by lemon sharks. Capt. Mike (the actual captain of the boat, not the dive site) could see lemon shark fins breaking the surface around Will. Will and grouper made it safely to the boat. Chuck and I have a small slab of grouper for dinner. Thanks for sharing Will.

So they are there and can be a bit aggressive mybee more than you think :no

Lets not forget this report (excerpt) that was posted as a reply to the post above

"I' coming up on my 7th or 8th hole and it has another lemon in it but theres a nice ledge and I want to look under it. I bark at the lemon and he gets up and moves. As he's moving out I swoop behind him to take a look. Bad idea. The lemon circles back. I forgot that rule " Don't chase the Lemons, it pisses them off!" You just have to stand there and hold your ground until they break off. If you flee, your toast. If you chase them, they get pissed. The shark never challenged me it just eyeballed me, turned and went down the reef. "

Not saying they will bite just that they are aggressive. Want to make sure people are aware that this may happen so they are not caught by surprise. Could be scary if you aren't expecting it.

Good diving to all

Jenny and Kim, long time no see! I may be up for something in Feb with ya'll!

Cool Beans Justin..

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom