Lending Gear yay or nay

Are you ok to lend your gears to others?

• Yes

Votes: 35 72.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, almost all of my gear gets lent out regularly. It lets people try other things and see what they like. It is just gear, if it gets broken, it is replaceable.
The more annoying part of that is when I spend hours looking for something I know I have only to find out I lent it to somebody a year ago and it never came back.

I've lent out lights quite a few times. I usually have 4-5 in my truck for any given dive so doesn't bother or affect me. I've borrowed a Blacktip DPV while waiting to order mine and batteries for a light when mine went tits up.

Expensive gear I'll hold onto unless I know you behind crossing paths at the dive sites.
Flashlights, fins or whatnot I'll loan to someone in need at the site.

Haven’t been diving long enough for this to come up. So I can’t vote. Generally, though, what I have is yours any time you need it…except my chainsaws. If you need a tree dropped or firewood help, I’ll just come do it for you.

May as well

039.JPG

for what it does here

Not my personal gear. i get emergency call outs to look at things or for things, and am also on a disaster response list, so my gear stays ready to go in a bag. I have rental gear that i will rent, or lend to friends, but not my personal gear.

If you are not comfortable lending scuba-gear, then absolutely do not.

Whether I lend scuba-gear is a combination of factors, including:

• What the gear is.
  • Whether it's a spare.
  • How easily it could be damaged.
  • Whether it will be supervised.
  • How well I know and trust the person.
  • Risks they might damage the gear in some way.
  • Risks the gear might cause them harm if it fails, leading to lawsuits.

...and various other similar factors.

For example:
  • Nobody borrows (or touches) my primary scuba-gear. What if they get injured? What if the gear is damaged in some way? This includes my BCD, regulators, primary fins, primary mask, and so on. What if something like my dive-knife goes missing, and I don't notice, and need it in an entanglement.
  • I am often more happy to lend items like extra fins, mask, or pony-bottles to people I know.
  • I'd be hesitant to lend regulators, even though I have extras, because of worries about what might happen if there was a problem with that regulator, or whether they may damage it and not tell me.

Only spare gear and only if I'm going on the same trip.

This. I try to dive with buddies on vacations. When I do I will lend them maybe my Go Pro on a tray and I have my TG6 as well.
I do also bring extra dive torches and will lend those out. Everything else I have one of. Regs BCD Fins Booties etc.
Not lending those out especially not lending out my Shearwater Perdix.

I trust my buddy so he/she can borrow any equipment I have.
I have also lent out my spare computer to a complete stranger in diving trip. I travel with 3 but dive with 2 so there is always a spare one available.

Back
Top Bottom