Lens choices for the Canon 5D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Alcina,

I'll find out from Ikelite or reefphoto about the port for the 50mm.

J.

Alcina, one more question:

I see you like the Sigma 17-70mm lens as your "I don't know what I am going to shoot today" lens. How does it work when you have a zoom lens UW? I presume you have to choose a certain zoom before putting the lens in the housing and lock it, right?

Also, how would you compare the 17-70mm Sigma to the 50mm macro Sigma (or your 60mm macro Canon) as a work-horse lens?

I already know what you are going to say....get them both! But if you had to choose one to buy first as your "everyday" lens, which would you pick (also keeping in mind that I am set on getting the 15mm Sigma and the 105mm macro canon)?

THANKS!

J.

jedah -

Which is better for a workhorse is going to depend on
- where you dive
- what you like to shoot

Personally, my workhorse is the 60mm macro because my passion is the little things mostly :) And is doesn't matter at all what the viz is with this lens - it's never too dirty to shoot macro :D :D

The Sigma 17-70 is a great lens when I
- don't know what I'll find
- know what I'll find and know that there will be good opportunities for both WA and little stuff

I can use the full range of the zoom underwater. No point to have a zoom lens if you can't change the zoom underwater! There's a zoom ring that slides over the barrel of the lens and then a knob on the outside of my housing. Easy.

I think you're right on getting both lenses :wink: They both fit in the range between the Sigma 15mm and the Canon 100mm (the Nikon is 105, Canon 100) and they each do something totally different.

If I thought I was going to really want to shoot wider scenes more than I wanted to shoot tiny things and close-ups, I'd head for the Sigma first. If I thought I was really wanting to concentrate on getting close to things and shooting the cool creatures everyone else swims over without seeing, then the 60mm would be first on my list.

Frankly, I'd buy both of these well before I bought the Sigma 15mm or any other very wide lens.

Ah, see that's why I said in the beginning that I wasn't sure it worked with your camera. Though I could have sworn I saw some guys on fredmiranda using it on a 5D. Oh well - that makes your decision easier, right?!

And if you like that range, you might have a look at Canon's other offerings to see if there is something similar - I don't pay much attention to lenses I'm not going to use so can't help there!

Though I could have sworn I saw some guys on fredmiranda using it on a 5D.
You can use the 17-70 on a 5D but there will be problems. Lenses for APS-C size senors are designed to focus the image onto the smaller sensor. When you use them on a full frame sensor you get vignetting because the image produced can be smaller than the sensor. With a zoom lens like the 17-70 it might work fine at one end of the zoom range but have vignetting at the other end.

Thanks guys!

Never thought switching to an DSLR would be so complicated...and I haven't even bought the housing / strobes / ports yet!

I think for now I'll go ahead and get the 15mm fisheye (probably with a 1.4x TC to help with the corner sharpness), the 50mm sigma macro and the 100mm canon macro, and, or course, a woody!

I am still on the fence about whether or not to get a zoom lens, in which case I would probably get the Canon 24-85mm USM, any thoughts on this one??

Again, thanks for all your help....can't imagine doing this without being able to tap into your knowledge base!

J.

Gudge:
The Sigma 17-70 is designed for digital SLR cameras featuring APS-C size image sensors and it isn't suitable for the full frame sensor 5D. Go with the Sigma 50 macro.

Additionally, the Canon 60mm Macro is an EF-S lens and won't even physically fit on the 5D body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom