Leopard Seal Attack, South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A police officer is sitting on the side of the road when a pickup truck zooms past him and he notices not only it's excessive speed, but the six penguins sitting in the back of the truck. His pulls it over and asks the driver why he's carrying around a load of penguins. The driver explains that he found them on the side of the road and is looking for some place to take them. The officer tells him to slow down, and to take them to the zoo. He lets the driver go.

The next day, he's sitting in the same place when the truck, still with the same penguins, goes by. He pulls it over and tells the driver, "Hey. I thought I told you to take those penguins to the zoo!"

The driver replies, "I did....and they loved it. Today we're going to the movies!"

I've dived with Sea Lions and with Leopard Seals. Here are some pictures of the latter...NOT taken with a telephoto. They are damn scary. I'll take Sea Lions any time.
P1020487.JPG

1658265453886.png

1658265479964.png

1658265507547.png

1658265537510.png

I wonder if some of these stories are just click bait fabrications and exaggerations?

I think sticking one of these in it my discourage it a tiny bit:

James

I wonder if some of these stories are just click bait fabrications and exaggerations?

I remember reading that leopard seals would chase crew members of the Shackleton expedition across the ice and were faster than the men. They would also popup in an ice hole, men would run, and they would popup in another ice hole in their path. Maybe that was pre-Internet literary clickbait but I tend to believe it.

I remember reading that leopard seals would chase crew members of the Shackleton expedition across the ice and were faster than the men. They would also popup in an ice hole, men would run, and they would popup in another ice hole in their path. Maybe that was pre-Internet literary clickbait but I tend to believe it.
I do not doubt they can be dangerous but those 'tube un-docu-dramas such as "Scary Bear Attacks" or "Scary Animals Attacks" are perhaps a bit exaggerated for effect. In this particular un-docu-drama I hope the men survived their wounds and recovered fully.

N

I think sticking one of these in it my discourage it a tiny bit:

James
I don't think I would want to get close enough to stick this knife into them if that is even possible. I would prefer something longer like a bang stick. The ad for the knife says it's useful against large land predators like bears. Again, I don't want to be that close. My advice: get a gun.

I don't think I would want to get close enough to stick this knife into them if that is even possible. I would prefer something longer like a bang stick. The ad for the knife says it's useful against large land predators like bears. Again, I don't want to be that close. My advice: get a gun.
When I went to Alaska and was back country hiking my best friend is a Marlin 1895SBL in .45-70 Government, the only Government in which a man can trust! It snuggled in my sleeping bag and accompanied me every inch of the way. Fortunatley my first line of defense, common sense was used and my second line of defense (bear spray) and my third line of defense (Marlin 1895SBL) went unused. Bears I am skeered of, especially big brown ones that haver never seen people but a few times, sharks, not so much. Could you imagine participating in a brown and polar bear feed! Here you guys, kneel on the ground in a semi circle while we feed these wild griz fresh salmon! Guess what else would be on the menu! Sharks in contrast are rather docile (until they are not). I guess I have a new nightmare critter to be skeered of, leopard seals, arrrggghh and I am just now getting over the movie Jaws :wink:. They are scary and clearly potentially dangerous.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom