Lesson Learned: Drysuit Boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was recently certified in drysuit diving and I've been using neoprene wetsuit boots with the drysuit. These have too much buoyancy so I ordered a pair of "regular" drysuit boots. Anyhow, I was diving with the wetsuit boots and noticed after the dive that a 4 foot piece of thread came out of the boot and got caught up in the latches on my fin. The drysuit was too thick for my boots so it busted the stiching. This could have been a serious problem if the thread wrapped my legs together underwater. This thread is so strong that I could barely break it using all my strength pulling on it. The moral of the story is: Wetsuit boots are to be used with wetsuits and not drysuits! Also, it's a good idea to inspect the stiching on your boots periodically.

Get yourself a cheap pair of Converse Chuck Taylor's to wear with the drysuit.

That's why you should always carry a cutting tool (shears or small knife). Getting your legs tied together isn't really a big deal while underwater if you keep your head--you can still dolphin kick to the surface. I got caught in a loose buoy line (well, one end was loose the other was tied to a Pontiac) once and had my legs tied together then the line wrapped around my first stage and pulled my fins up behind my back. That rope was large enough to untangle but my knife was available if cutting had been necessary.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
That's why you should always carry a cutting tool (shears or small knife).

my thoughts exactly

Hi,

Actually, Chuck Taylor's are what I ordered (UPS should be delivering them by Friday). I do carry a dive knife on my BC, fortunately, I didn't have to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom