Lessons to be learned-Death in Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the links Kev. I'll take a look.

Kevrumbo:
Other than the ripping current at depth and the surface, the weather and sea state were absolutely calm with unlimited visibility when my Buddy and I surfaced --nearly One-Quarter-of-a-Mile away from the Mother Ship in a busy Shipping Channel. I'm never going to count on or assume such benign conditions again should I ever be in the same predicament. . .

That must have been interesting. You must tell all sometime.

victor:
That must have been interesting. You must tell all sometime.

search under 'south china sea' or 'repulse' and kevrumbo's name. I think he mentioned earlier in a trip report from recent trip on HMS Repulse/ Prince of Wales/ etc..

Having been on that same trip a few weeks later, I can totally believe his story... We were fighting hand over hand to get down to some of the wrecks and were flag-poling on most of our deco stops on the way up!!! And this is smack in the middle of a major shipping lane from Singapore to rest of Asia so you can imagine the size of some of these container ships that were rumbling by... Pretty humbling when you hear one of those go by while you're decoing...!

Here's one of the "smaller" container ships that went by. You think the captn's gonna see a little SMB and turn in time if you pop up in front of him???:11:

210842197_e996782f2b.jpg

Diver Dennis:
I'm thinking of getting one too. What brand do you guys use?

I use the Mcmourdo fast find +, with there water tight canister (free batteries for life)

Diver Dennis:
Thanks cdiver. I'm going to pick one up. Expensive but I guess that's relative if you ever have to use it...

As my wife/buddy (a very wise woman) would say I would rather have it and not need to use it rather than need it and not have it.

The only draw back I have found with it is, when it is on the tank band it some times makes it difficult holding the tank on SOME boat tank holders. Other than that it gives us great peace of mind. I also carry a short length of line with a loop on each end so that if it doe's hit the fan we can use the line to stay together. In some remote places it could still take some time to get assistance to you.

The price Kev gave a link to is a VERY GOOD price

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom