Let keep the new gear looking new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdexcalibur

Reaction score
Here a little hint on keeping your new gear lookinh that way.
Your taught to rinse your gear after every time you dive right? Well what about after a pool class? I mean it's not salt water, what harm can it do right? WRONG
I didn't rinse my boots after a pool class and about four days later my nice black boots had turned a funky goldish brown color. So guys and gal rinse even in pools. Hope I help someone not make the same mistake I did

Just think of it this way. Now it looks like you spend alot of time in the pool practicing.

Chad

sdexcalibur said...
I mean it's not salt water, what harm can it do right?

It's full of chlorine (usually). Chlorine is completely evil (always). I worry more about taking my gear into the pool than I do about using it in the sea.

Anyone got any tips for dechlorinating BCs and wetsuits? I am tempted to try one of the swimmer's shampoos, at least on my wetsuit.

Zept, who is off to the pool to start the Rescue Diver course

Almost all my gear is a lovely grey/brown now. I spent time in the pool last winter to work on skills and the pool I was in was way over treated. Even with washing the gear it faded quickly.

I finally decided not to worry about the color anymore but I still rinsed to avoid actual damage. In the end if you use your gear eventually it will look used, you can't worry to much about it but it still sucks.

Sorry to hear about your booties.

Chad

BEFORE you get into the pool....GET EVERYTHING WET!:droplet:
Get under the shower and wet everything down, even your hair if you want to keep it nice and shiny! Chlorine is evil. :blmeanie:
And immediately after getting out of the pool rinse everything off. Woolite is good to use or even swimmers shampoo.
But to really save bathing suits, booties, etc....get it wet before getting in the pool.

Amber

find another one.

I have one at home. There is no reason on God's green earth why you need more than 1.0-1.5ppm of Chlorine in a pool if you do periodic shock treatments and the water is properly balanced.

Unfortunately, many pools are GROSSLY overstabilized. That results in chlorine being less effective at doing what it is supposed to do - control the nasties (including bacteria and such, along with algae)

The result is that the pool owner dumps in more chlorine to keep the water 'nice'. But that does no such thing - it bleaches your swimsuit and gear, stings your eyes like a hot poker, and MAYBE keeps the nasties in check.

In a public pool there is no good defense against this, unfortunately, since you have zero control over any of it..... other than not patronizing that pool!

I never seem to hear about saltwater pools here in the USA.

Chlorine pools are far from the norm at home, nearly all are saltwater. I did alot of my first "dives" in our saltwater pool, never had ANY fading problems.

Dave

are very hard to keep balanced properly, and the water is incompatable with most of the heaters and other equipment commonly used.

You could also use some vinegar in the water that you wash your gear in, this would neutralize the chlorine naturally...

Note: I'm just throwing this out there, I have never had reason to try it, and there may be a reason not to use vinegar with dive equipment - I'd like to hear whether this would be a good solution or not.

Back
Top Bottom