Let keep the new gear looking new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...and you have been shown how to rinse the inside of the BC? They can last for years after they go out of fashion if you do this, but I meet plenty of certified divers who have never heard of this.

If you're wearing gloves treat the fingertips and the seems with aquasure or similar when they are new. My 6-8 years old gloves are only now starting to look worn - or mostly the old Aquasure layer is worn. This will save you $$ for new gloves. However, it doesn't look so nice :(

When I was a teenager we spent a couple of days at a Holiday Inn in San Diego, Califormia. That pool to my surprise was salt water. that was back in '79. I haven't seen a salt water pool since.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
I never seem to hear about saltwater pools here in the USA.

Pool water is not good for gear at all!!! You should always rinse the heck out of it when you are done...I don't know how many times I've had my wetsuit and boots in the pool...as well as my all black BC...but they are still looking good due to good rinsing.

What we do for our classes is, get a big plastic drum (a shortened plastic 55 gallon drum works well) and stick a freshwater hose in it after the class. That way, everyone can rinse and dip their gear in the tub to clean it.

Always, always, always stick the hose against your oral inflator for your BC and fill it and rinse it w/ water several times.

Chlorine, like salt water, will crystalize inside of regs and other sensitive equipment and kill it...

Thanks for the tip. Would it be worth it to buy some jugs of cheap spring water from the grocery store to rinse with, since these would have no chlorine? Even tap water is chlorinated, so would rinsing with a hose or hose water be as good as water that has no chlorine? It may cost a few bucks, for a few gallons, but I'm only going to be doing a couple of pool dives while getting my certification and I'd prefer not to have my new BC turn grey before I've even taken it out for a real spin. Just wondering.

Personally, I wouldn't go through the effort of buying spring water. Tap water is safe enough. If the amount of chlorine in the water were enough to damage your gear, it definitely shouldn't be coming out of a faucet or a hose!

I just make sure to rinse everything very thoroughly. I've heard of some people giving their stuff a good couple of soaks in the bathtub as well.

I am just about finished with my pool sessions, in fact, this Tuesday and Thursday will be the end of them. I then will have two OW dives on Sat. with two more the following Sat. Anyway, when I am done with the pool session, everything, and I mean everything, gets rinsed off in the shower and then when I get home, my gloves, booties, mask, snorkle and fins gets put in our washtub filled with fresh water and gets a good soaking overnight. I then drain and dry everything. Hopefully, that will keep everything looking good for a couple of years, anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom