Let's talk cheap (or cheap-ish) in-town hotels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the Baracuda still open? Haven't heard much about it.

Casa Mexicana gets good reviews.

Hotel Cozumel is a block from downtown

Barracuda is still there, stayed there a few months ago. Rates aren't super low these days, and the rooms and linens are pretty tired out. But the location and views can't be beat.

I dove with one of the owners of a new(ish) B&B in town, and have a friend staying there next week. I haven't seen the place, but their low season rates are really great ($29/night):
Room Rates | Los Alcatraces

Kmurray, what a small world, or should I say small island. I met those owners of the new B&B at the new restaurant on the corner of my street. Great empanadas BTW.

Anyhoo, back to the topic at hand, several years ago, at least 7 but maybe more since it was before we bought our house here, we stayed at El Marques during high, high season. Location is just off the square on 5th. Our room was large, with a second smaller room, as I recall. Small fridge, and AC. The price, for Christmas/New Year was an unbelievably low amount...something like about $45 per night.

But I would echo the suggestion of Suites Vima. It is quite a charming little place.

When I stayed at Pepita a few years ago I ended up with a rain-induced flooded floor twice. I had to broom squeegee the water out. I did not measure the depth but it may have been 1/8th inch deep or so all over.

I found Hotel Caribe on TripAdvisor- only 1 review but it's positive and there are some pictures. Note: don't confuse it with Villas Caribe (yuck) . What site did you find?

I've only been able to find a pretty funky website --- do you have one? My main questions however, is whether or not any rooms have 3 beds, and what the high season rates are?? Thanks.

I've stayed at Suites Bahia probably 10 times. Cheap, but prices have been rising over the past 2 or 3 years. Also I always opted for a ocean view room vs the wall view (if you have had one of these rooms you know what I'm talking about). Overall its not a bad place. Wifi was always pretty bad in the ocean view rooms. Good location, but noisy at night.

For the same price (cheaper for ocean view room) Vista del Mar right down the street. Smaller rooms but nicer. Better shower. Ocean view rooms only cost about $9 more.

Both places are friendly and clean. Both places you will hear traffic outside. Usually not something that bothers me because diving wipes me out.

I found Hotel Caribe on TripAdvisor- only 1 review but it's positive and there are some pictures. Note: don't confuse it with Villas Caribe (yuck) . What site did you find?

Yeah, I saw the the TA one. Google insists on showing results for Villas Caribe -- very frustrating. Here's the other one:

hotelcaribecozumel

Is the Baracuda still open?

Yes, it's still open.

That would be my suggestion. $70/night double occ.

+ : Every room on the water. In town. Two great breakfast spots next door. Across from Mega. Pier pickups. Just about any dive site for second dive. Great day time bar scene. Minifridge. A.C.

- : Rooms are a bit worn. No in room safe.

PH

I've stayed at Hotel Flamingo my last two trips down-December and last weekend, and have become a big fan. It's on 6th between 5th Ave and the water. Had a regular room for about $70 the first time and the penthouse last weekend at about $200 (OK, not so cheap). The penthouse was great, the regular room was very nice, particularly compared to barracuda or Hotel Coz where I've also stayed before. Nice rooms, linens, towels, etc. Great bar. Highly recommended.

anne-
i went to easy click and put in 7-14 aug. came up with suites bahia $41, casa mex $54. i have stayed at casa mex frequently and give it a thumbs up. don't know anyone first hand who stayed at suites bahia but it gets good reviews here. i have also stayed at aqua safai inn several times and it was ok. last i heard their price was $40.
when i first started going to coz i had to watch the $. now that is no longer an issue but i still stay at hotels like casa mex. easy walk to aldora pier and restaurants like los plamas (25 and 3) and los sera.

Casa Mexicana. Great location, and when I was there in Dec. it was ~ $50/night IIRC. Was about a 2 minute walk to the Aldora pier. Nice and clean, and the staff was very helpful. I did stay half the trip in the Palace as well, but for an inexpensive in town option Casa Mexicana was great and I will be stay there again next time I'm on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom