Solved: LGBTQIA people. Is there a need for a sub-forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
El Hefe 612

El Hefe 612

Sings "Wheels on the Bus" Daily
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay… First, I know I'm new here. Second, I'm genuinely curious. And third, I read the entire 18-page thread of the "LGBTQ Divers?" question. As a openly gay, married man I would love to have a place to connect with other gay men, women, and like-minded individuals to discuss dive travel opportunities, to find dive buddies without having to worry about whether or not they might have a problem with me, and to feel comfortable talking about things that might impact us.

If possible, I'd like to have a board created under Non-Geographic Clubs called:

LGBTQIA Divers and Their Friends

I have spent the past week-and-a-half searching the internet (and this board) for such clubs, and I was surprised how lacking they were. It's been six years since the original question was posted in the thread referenced above. I know if I'm interested, that there are probably many others who would be too, but they may just be afraid to ask. Many of the responses in the thread above were not very understanding of what it is like living as an LGBTQIA individual in a predominantly heteronormative global society. Having such a space is not about excluding anyone, it's about having space where we don't have to worry about being who we are and can focus on what we love - diving (among many other things).

Thanks!

No worries. :)

I asked because I thought it provided a needed context for the discussion. One that I at least had missed in the previous posts. We are after all a diving community.

As the OP did not mention he was a diver/getting certified until a later post, my first impression is that he had come to SB to push an agenda. I've come across enough of that sort who don't let you forget they are [insert group/ethnicity/whatever of your choice] that I'm extrmemely suspicious of motives. First post on SB is pushing for an LBTQ sub-forum with no mention of being a diver? You can see where some of us thought this was going.

Last edited:
Where did I say that he needed to be a diver?

I admit that I came late to the discussion but isn't the title of the thread a question. "Is there a need for a sub-forum?" I believe the points I made were directly related to this question. Perhaps it was only meant as a rethorical question.

Actually, my original title (which was changed), simply asked if there could be a LGBTQIA sub-forum created. Since I didn't know an individual to contact to ask and since there was a forum titled "Suggestions," I posted it there. I was worried this would happen having to ask it openly. Perhaps a link to let newbies know which person best to PM to ask so we don't have to burden everyone with our simple question.

(The original posting title was, "Suggestion: LGBTQIA Board.")

Last edited:
Actually, my original title (which was changed), simply asked if there could be a LGBTQIA sub-forum created. Since I didn't know an individual to contact to ask and since there was a forum titled "Suggestions," I posted it there. I was worried this would happen having to ask it openly. Perhaps a link to let newbies know which person best to PM to ask so we don't have to burden everyone with our simple question.
We are a community, and as such, have members who feel all kinds of different ways about a number of things. Thankfully you didn't start a PADI vs. Anyone else discussion or a sidemount discussion. This one is quite tame. Aunt Alice won't embarrass us much, but she drinks whiskey and uses bad words on occasion. We don't let her out much.

You can see where some of us thought this was going.

Actually it was pretty obvious where some people were going...

It became apparent when the usual suspects start asking why other "minorities" never had "their" own subforum.

At this point, either close the thread or move the sanctimonious comments to the pub. Mine included.

What does QIA mean?

At this point, either close the thread or move the sanctimonious comments to the pub. Mine included.
"Just say no".

or: Matt 5:37

No worries. :)

I asked because I thought it provided a needed context for the discussion. One that I at least had missed in the previous posts. We are after all a diving community.

Gotcha... that does make sense. My mistake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom