LIfe Threatening Dive Experience - Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't the new Nautilus Lifeline basically a PLB in a canister? There's no more VHF radio function it's just a single button mayday/distress signal.

The lifeline is a radio that transmits your cords to any radio in reach (5 miles, maybe 10... ) if someone is there, not listening to music on headphones... on the version I have (first model?) you can choose to just call on the radio or do the emergency call... if you plan for it and talk to your "captain", your boat at least "should" listen... I thought a plb reaches to a satellite and calls the cavalry wit your coords ... and they will get the "data" and can use your signal as a homing beacon during a search (if your battery lasts until then). No way to just do a radio call with that.

Last edited:
Why don't charters offer the nautilus or other locating device for a small rental fee and require a deposit if you lose it? Or maybe there are some that do. It seems like it would not take long to have them paid for in rental fees.

The lifeline is a radio that transmits your cords to any radio in reach (5 miles, maybe 10... ) if someone is there, not listening to music on headphones... on the version I have (first model?) you can choose to just call on the radio or do the emergency call... if you plan for it and talk to your "captain", your boat at least "should" listen... I thought a plb reaches to a satellite and calls the cavalry wit your coords ... and they will get the "data" and can use your signal as a homing beacon during a search (if your battery lasts until then). No way to just do a radio call with that.
Right - Nautilus Lifeline (now discontinued) was a vhf radio that could also send a DSC distress call. The new Nautilus GPS loses the radio and just has the DSC distress call and also has AIS to show your location to ships with AIS receivers (commercial ships use this). Both are much more limted in range and who monitors versus a PLB. A PLB transmits a signal to satellites on dedicated world-wide frequencies for distress beacons monitored by Search and Rescue orgs.

How Do PLBs Work - PLB Review - Personal Locator Beacon Reviews

@Lorenzoid

Lifeline relies on VHF, no? Wonder if it's monitored routinely. Been places in the pacific (not Fiji) where it isn't. Might be good to ask that and consider a plb in something water tight.

Scary story and glad OP and RDB are ok.

Could you elaborate on the canister?
Or choices of...
I bought a canister from light monkey, it's one of the big battery canisters for their dive lights without the cable holes drilled in it. They sell them, but special order only. They are very solidly made and seal very well, but not cheap.

The PLB is an ACR, but the one I bought is really big, I suggest getting a smaller one.

The AIS beacons and VHF radios with DSC are likely to get you found quicker if you are in a place where people have high tech radios, since the people seeing the emergency signal are right there. For example, in US/EU waters or if you are drifting in a major shipping lane. But if there isn't anyone with those, then the PLB will eventually get someone out looking for you. In theory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom