Lifetime warranty = no warranty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatic Tom

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
in march i bought a B2 first and second stage (300bar din) and a Z2 octo from an authorized dealership. Most of my gear is Atomic Aquatics and i treat my gear very carefully, carrying every piece in it's original packaging or padded bags. I don't dive that much so i only had 8 dives with it. I always used a 200bar bottle but a few weeks ago i used a 300bar bottle for the first time. As soon as i opened the bottle i heard a hissing sound comming from underneath the plastic cap on the din-nipple. So i completed that dive with a loaner and took the regs to another authorized dealer and servicepoint since the shop where i bought it from had closed permanantly. After inspecting the first stage they discovered that there was a crack in the metal on the inside of the din-nipple. So they mailed to Martin Kusche of atomic europe asking if they could repair it by warranty because there was no sign that i had dropped it or anything like that because there is not a single scratch on the outside and the torque was not changed, everything was still in it's factory settings. Martin simply replied: "We will not cover the DIN Nipple as a warranty item. The reg was fully working during our test when it was on the ANSTI bench." (really, this is his complete reply!)
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]So after inspection it appears to be a defect in material wich probably already existed in factory, but still no warranty because it was tested?
since everything gets tested before leaving the factory, the lifetime warranty from atomic doesn't really exist.
I'm very curious to the explaination of atomic and i really wonder what is covered by warranty if a clear defect from factory isn't covered.

Aquatic Tom[/FONT]

Did you buy it in Belgium? If so, the Belgian law on consumer goods is clear: they need to repair or replace it free of charge. You have additional rights within the first six months after purchase. I would remind them of their obligations, but don't wait too long to lodge a complaint (here).

Thanks Lemna, I did buy it in Belgium from an authorized dealer. I'm awaiting atomic's reaction to see wich steps to take. Your link might be helpfull. I got my reg.set back today but had to pay €70 for the replaced part. The serviceshop showed me the problem and again said that it must be a defect that existed in the factory because there is no way i could have done that without damaging anything else.
So it's up to Atomic what happens next...

My guess is that when this issue gets to the head guys of Aomic you will receive a new reg. or refund.

Well, since I am looking for a new reg set, I think I'll wait to see how this is resolved before going with Atomic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom