Light Canon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrmonk7663

Contributor
Reaction score
What's the story on the Uk Light Canon? It says it is an HID light. Is this truly an HID light? My LDS says the difference between the Light Canon and the regular halogen light that UK makes is incredible. Anyone have any experience with this light, comparisons? Would I be better off with an LED or a Halogen. I don't have tons of money to which is why I'm looking at this light. Most of my diving is during the day, but i'm sure i'll venture into the night sometime. Thanks everyone.

Michael Reese

Hi Mike.
I've had the Light Cannon for about 3 years. It's a very good light, very bright with a very white (looks almost blue) and quite tight beam. I've used it in very poor vis and also for night dives in very good vis. I am just about to try it out as a video light (using the supplied diffusers to soften the beam.

On a lumens comparison it's not far off the Salvo or Halcyon 10W HIDs (The LC is about 420 and I think the Salvo and Halcyon are about 450) although it doesn't have the focusable beam. You can get a re-chargeable version or run it on 8 C Cells which gives a good burn time.

On the down side the bulbs are expensive if you break one and you need to be careful about the proper procedures (avoid turning it on and off too much, allow at least 30 seconds from turning it off to turning it back on etc)

My wife has just bought one of the new generation of LED lamps (FA&MI Power 50). It seems to compare favourably with the light Cannon in poor vis, has a slightly yellower beam and runs on AA batteries. The LEDs also have a ridiculous life span (hours in 6 digits as a recall)

Personally if I was buying now (in that price range) I would seriously consider the LED torches alongside the Light Cannon

Thanks for the review. I have no problem going LED but I want something that has the same power as the LC if not even more. I want a really bright light in both poor vis and good vis. What would you think would fit this bill? Thanks.

I've had a light cannon for three years and it's great. I've also put 3 or 4 new bulbs in it due to clumsiness...drop it off a tailgate and the bulb is usually done. I just got the Green Force 23 watt HID canister at DEMA and it doesn't seem twice as bright as the LC. On the other hand, it has a shock resistant bulb that doesn't break. On the other hand, you can get three or four light cannons for the price of most canister lights. If you get the light cannon, try the lantern handle. You can tuck it into your waist strap while not in use to stay more streamlined.

Hey I just checked that light out, looks good. I coudln't find any pricing information though. Perhaps you could point me in the direction of the price. Thank You.

Hi,

I do not know the prices in the USA.
Here in Europe the prices are:
10W 250€
21W 300€
24W 350€

always VAT included.

Greetings, Michael

mrmonk7663:
Hey I just checked that light out, looks good. I coudln't find any pricing information though. Perhaps you could point me in the direction of the price. Thank You.

A 21W version of the Brightstar Darkbuster is being sold in the US by Barry Miller/Salvo as the "21 Watt HID Li-Ion Lantern." Sale price: $US425.00

http://www.salvodiving.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=1914

My Light Cannon has served me well since 2000 or 2001, in a wide variety of situations:
- leading students on AOW night dives in low- and medium-viz quarries
- recreational night dives in quarries and on reefs
- as my primary cave and wreck light before I bought my 18 watt cannister, and as a "backup primary" afterward (I still carry small "backup lights," too)
- as the primary in zero-viz blackwater dives in the Cooper River.

My LC has a couple hundred dives on it. Still on the original bulb. I have a replacement bulb just in case. Hate how pricy it was.

I run the LC on 8 C cells, 5000 mah NiMHs. Usually get 4 - 6 hours on a charge. That's "nearly" a weekend of dives in the Cooper River or "nearly" a week of night reef dives on a trip. ("nearly" means I have to take along either a spare set of charged batteries or a charger)

I love the LC's high output white light inside clear water caves and in blackwater. BUT ...

Realistically, the LC is too much light for night reef dives. Prior to buying it, I used an Ikelite PCLite for reef dives, and it was fine. Remember, the point of night diving is to experience the environment at night, not turn it into pseudo-day. (a reef that looks like an over-lit parking lot hardly qualifies as a night dive) I recently bought a Shockwave eLED, 8 C cells, 3 LEDs. Its high power setting is about a third of the LC output. So far, have used it on low-viz night dives in the quarry -- adequate output. Used it on a dive trip to Utila -- adequate output for reef dives even on its low power setting. Don't know yet what kind of burn time I'll get on a set of batteries, because it hasn't run down yet. I like the notion of long battery life and virtually unlimited life on the LEDs. I like the idea that there's no bulb to break if you drop it.

If I were buying today -- knowing what I know now -- I'd probably buy the Shockwave eLED instead of the Light Cannon. And this is from a Light Cannon fan.

To quote someone else on SB, that's my 2psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom