Light "Commercial" Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do I miss these interesting threads until they run there course? When it comes down to it, liability is established by an act or omission. If you never have an accident, no one gets hurt, sick or killed, you can do anything that you like without recourse.

If you receive remuneration from diving outside of a personal, recreational or educational context, you are commercial diving. If you run a business to do this, you fall under various guidelines and regulations. That said, chances are that if there is no accident, you can do it any way you want to.

Enter the concept of professionalism. This suggests that people undertaking an activity operate in a manner that is reasonable and accepted as best practice. As far as what is and is not contaminated water, there are guidelines set-out by the Association of Diving Contractors International (ADCI) that include specific instructions for diving in contaminated water (as defined in their Consensus Standards for Commercial Diving and Underwater Operations). In short, where there is an immediate risk of long-term sickness or death as a result of contaminated water, surface-supply must be used with a dry helmet mated directly to a dry suit with attached dry boots and gloves. A return-line (reclaim) system must be used. There is also a policy of how the Diver is to be decontaminated.

That said, contaminated water rarely exposes a Diver to biological or chemical agents that are immediately dangerous to health and safety. I would suspect that the Harbor in-question doesn't possess such a hazard. However Hull searches and tributyltins (in the paints coating the Hull of large ships, which are absorbed into the skin) are very hazardous to divers in the long-term and best practice indicates the use of a hard helmet. Again, it only matters "after-the-fact" when people start pointing fingers after an accident.

The IMCA has specific requirements that are designed for the offshore industry. These are not extended to onshore activities.

Getting back to the OP's question...

Like everyone, you have to assess personal risk when you dive. If you feel it's worth diving alone to undertake hull inspections, there is no law against it, as has been previously discussed. I would however think long and hard about this, as there is an advantage to leaving it to the professionals. :)

fstbttms, Thal is a well respected member of SB and the international scientific diving community. Your tone seemed to me to be disrespectful. I understand however that you have experience in doing your job a certain way; which no doubt has been formed by what works for you and years of experience. I don't think it is anyone's intention to tell you how to do your job. We may however, each assess risk and professionalism differently.

Last edited:
fstbttms, Thal is a well respected member of SB and the international scientific diving community. Your tone seemed to me to be disrespectful.
Damn right, it's disrespectful. Your pal attacked and disrespected me without provocation from the very first response I posted in this thread.

Damn right, it's disrespectful. Your pal attacked and disrespected me without provocation from the very first response I posted in this thread.

You came on pretty strong... "Yeah, like you have an actual clue about what it is I do."

You came on pretty strong... "Yeah, like you have an actual clue about what it is I do."
Perhaps. But only because a friggin' lawyer tried to tell me how to run my business. His tone was very condecending and continued to be in every post he made about me and what I do. The man called me a liar, for God's sake. Excuse me if I don't kiss his feet.

I am not a lawyer.

Let's examine your honesty the same way that I would had I received a diving CV from someone looking to be granted diving status in a program that I supervised:

20,000 claimed dives over 15 years.

A working year contains 250 working days; that's 3,750 working days for 15 years.

To make 20,000 dives you'd have had to have made 5.3 dives per day.

Water Monkey says, "And I can tell you that cleaning one hull underwater is a workout. I’ve done two in one day but there is no way I could do three."

Frankly, that analysis suggests that your claim of 20,000 dives is sheer puffery. What else are you being, (ahem) unclear about?

Diving status would be denied without some serious explanation.

Perhaps. But only because a friggin' lawyer tried to tell me how to run my business. His tone was very condecending and continued to be in every post he made about me and what I do. The man called me a liar, for God's sake. Excuse me if I don't kiss his feet.

Tempers often flare on SB. Thal (like myself) have strong opinions on certain issues. We often disagree on the issues, but I've always known him to be respectful and contribute something positive to the conversation.

In re-reading the comments, I see how the two of you disagree, but you seem to be the one that started down the negative track. At least that's what came across to me, but I've never claimed to be the brightest bulb in the SB package. :)

I have operated a commercial diving company in Vancouver and understand what running a small business is all about. What may be "ideal" by way of equipment and what is "practical and cost-effective" are often two different things. For me this was a big shock from being a Navy Diver and having unlimited resources. When I started diving offshore the resources quickly returned. I do understand some of the challenges you face on a daily basis.

I am not a lawyer.

Let's examine your honesty the same way that I would had I received a diving CV from someone looking to be granted diving status in a program that I supervised:

20,000 claimed dives over 15 years.

A working year contains 250 working days; that's 3,750 working days for 15 years.

To make 20,000 dives you'd have had to have made 5.3 dives per day.

Water Monkey says, "And I can tell you that cleaning one hull underwater is a workout. I’ve done two in one day but there is no way I could do three."

Frankly, that analysis suggests that your claim of 20,000 dives is sheer puffery. What else are you being, (ahem) unclear about?

Diving status would be denied without some serious explanation.
Water Monkey is not a hull cleaner. He himself states he has only done it a couple of times. Does a marathon runner go 26 miles the first time he runs? Of course not. Over time, you gain experience and learn to do the job efficiently without wearing yourself out. Nobody would be making a living at it if they could only manage a couple of boats a day.

When it comes to this subject, you really don't know what you're talking about (not that that ever stopped you from running your mouth, apparently) and you are quit literally out of your depth.

Lots of words, but no explanation for the discrepancy; which would exist with or without Water Monkey's input (he just strengthened an already rather powerful case). If, as you say, you started out slow and on top of that you had a learning curve to overcome, that means that to log those 20,000 dives you'd have had to be doing six, or seven, or even more dives on most of your work days. We are getting out of the range of any kind of reasonableness, if just on the basis of available bookings and the time needed to move from one boat and one marina to another.

I don't ask my people to dive with people that I do not have trust in, diving status denied.

I might point-out to the OP, if large vessels are being inspected, tributyltins (in the paints coating the Hull) are a problem, as these are absorbed into the skin and may be extremely hazardous to divers. Use of hazmat dive gear would be prudent. With all the "discussion" going on, I didn't want this missed. :)

Back
Top Bottom