Light deco?

Do you use the term, "light deco"?

• No

Votes: 49 74.2%
  • Yes, if yes, please provide your definition of light deco, below

Votes: 17 25.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Less that 10 minutes "we" (our group) call it "light deco".. or "little deco".

Not tech certified, to me it means a planned obligation of 10 minutes or less on a single gas, ideally to be completed with the tank on your back and a pony just in case.

edit:
In my mind the "light" has nothing to do with seriousness of the obligation, but rather to differentiate it from the additional training, time and equipment required by what i would consider heavy/serious decompression.

I might say, "We'll do a little bit of deco," but that light deco can get you just as bent as a lot of deco if the stars misalign for you.

Deco is deco. You are obligated to spending time doing the deco, then it is a deco dive. Nothing optional about it. If there isn't a deco obligation, it isn't a deco dive.

Are you planning on spending a lot of time with a dedicated rich deco gas to take care of that obligation? Or just a few minutes on regular back gas to take care of that obligation?

Deco is deco. You are obligated to spending time doing the deco, then it is a deco dive. Nothing optional about it. If there isn't a deco obligation, it isn't a deco dive.

Are you planning on spending a lot of time with a dedicated rich deco gas to take care of that obligation? Or just a few minutes on regular back gas to take care of that obligation?
Diver 1 runs their dive computer pure DSAT.
Diver 2 runs their computer RGBM with SF 2 setting

Both divers dive together and do the exact same dive. Diver 1 never gets close to his NDL.
Diver 2 racks up 5 minutes of deco time. Both divers do the same ascent and safety stop. By the end of the safety stop diver 2’s deco has cleared.

Both divers did identical dives. So which diver was the deco diver?

Both divers did identical dives. So which diver was the deco diver?

Both since every dive is a deco dive. :)

And neither diver since you can force a computer into very conservative settings that you could claim deco on any dive...

Both since every dive is a deco dive. :)
We just went through this in another thread. Language grows and takes on meanings once people agree on those meanings. When we hear someone say, "What's up?" we don't scan the sky looking for something flying overhead. We know that combination of words has taken on a meaning different from the meaning of the individual words of which it is comprised.

When almost everyone uses the phrase "decompression dive" or "deco dive,," they are referring to a dive on which decompression stops are required. When almost everyone hears that phrase, they know exactly what was meant and respond accordingly.

Then there are those people who interrupt that fine communication to point out that all dives involve decompression, something every diver learns in their first certification class.

Great. Good to know. Now, as we were saying...

When almost everyone uses the phrase "decompression dive" or "deco dive,," they are referring to a dive on which decompression stops are required.

Have you tried running that by PADI? I'm referring specifically to the grey cells on the "no deco" RDP where it says "safety stop shall be required" (emphasis mine). :popcorn:

Then riddle me this - how do you answer the question without saying both and none? :)

If they both skipped the safety stop, the 1st one would have no penalty on his computer whereas the 2nd one would've been locked out for 24 hours. Does that help?

Back
Top Bottom