Light deco?

Do you use the term, "light deco"?

• No

Votes: 49 74.2%
  • Yes, if yes, please provide your definition of light deco, below

Votes: 17 25.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because of this confusion, PADI has stopped calling those dives no decompression dives--they are now no stop dives.

Well, finally it's about time. Any terms or designation that clears up a concept is good. We just need to change NDL to NSL (no stop limit).

I appreciate all the responses to my post. It is not terribly surprising that 3/4 do not use the term light deco. Mainstream thought is that diving is recreational, with no deco, or it is technical, including deco. Some believe that the borderline between rec and tech is fuzzy, with a natural continuum.

For those who defined light deco, the definition varied considerably. At one end of the spectrum, light deco is a deco obligation incurred with a conservative algorithm that would be no deco using a liberal algorithm. At the other end of the spectrum it is a short amount of deco that would use an additional gas for accelerated decompression.

I think of light deco as being of limited duration, less than or equal to 10, perhaps 15 minutes, conducted on a single gas/back gas, with or without redundant gas, dictated by the circumstances. As I dive a primary computer running DSAT and a backup running the same or Buhlmann at a GF hi of 90-100, I take the deco time seriously, and would never consider not fulfilling my obligation. I often pad the stop by a few minutes.

Apparently some folks dive with twin HP 120s in order to never go into "light deco"... the world is full of wonders.
Whatever do you mean by this? Exceeding NDL is quite unrelated to having a lot of gas, although that's a good idea if you do exceed NDL.

If you dive conservative DC or set "conservative" GF, it is choice you made. Therefore, deco is deco. Nevermind your buddy is still within NDL, your choice is what it is. I'm sure if your buddy turns into a pretzel, you would not want the same. Therefore, at least for me, there is no light deco. You have deco stop or you don't. Plan and dive accordingly, circumstances notwithstanding.

The definition for deco must be simple and easy for practical use. If you exceed the NDL for your computer and for your settings, you are in deco and should satisfy your obligation before surfacing. If you do not, for most computers, you will be locked out in violation gauge mode. If you do not like the NDLs for your computer, you can adjust the personal factors or dive a computer that is more liberal in its deco algorithm.

Several responders to this thread have described light deco as exceeding NDL with a conservative computer, knowing well that this would not be exceeding NDL with a more liberal algorithm. This is well beyond the knowledge and experience of the majority of divers. I dive very frequently in SE Florida. Not uncommonly, I'm asked by a diver on the boat why their computer does not seem to be working correctly. A frequent response is that you missed a deco stop and are in violation gauge mode. They generally look at me like I am an alien.

If you dive conservative DC or set "conservative" GF, it is choice you made. Therefore, deco is deco. Nevermind your buddy is still within NDL, your choice is what it is. I'm sure if your buddy turns into a pretzel, you would not want the same. Therefore, at least for me, there is no light deco. You have deco stop or you don't. Plan and dive accordingly, circumstances notwithstanding.

Agree, see above

Another idea just to stir the pot.
Light deco, less then half the dive time under a deco ceiling

well if you want to make it complicated maybe a definition related to gas reserves so if you have 2x deco gas plus a reserve all with back gas then its light deco- maybe it could be a new cert :) hey guys I just did my light deco course !

I don't have any plans for doing any "light deco". To me, the term sounds similar to the concept of being "half-pregnant".

As a beginner diver, I intend to follow to the letter whatever my Shearwater Perdix computer in Rec Mode tells me to do. :wink:

My perception, is that even the simplest form of scuba diving is in essence technical.

Also, I believe that all OW courses around the world should cover the basic theory underlying the most commonly used decompression tables and algorithmes, so that divers have an understanding of the significant differences between their computer and that of their buddy.

Back
Top Bottom