Question Light for night macros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
P

pansbjorne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Been greatly enjoying macro mode on my TG-6. There were so many awesome critters at night but the base flash didn't really seem to get the job done.

Any recommendations for a first light to pick up? Should I even consider video lights or just stick with strobe?

Yes, the MF-1 (original, with 18650 battery) or the MF-2 9with 21700 battery).
Forget vido lights; all he small critters run away with a constant-on light.

I turn my on very low power and yes some crabs don't like the lights so I turn them off unless taking a video. I find most critters are more concerned about being eaten than my lights. This lobster was being followed by a large grouper at the Liberty Wreck in Tulamben.

LOBSTER (2).jpg

I use two Big Blue VL4200P video lights. I like to take macro video and photo's. I am happy with my photo's and video.
DIY tray and my old Go Pro in the dry port. Sometimes my video lights on lowest power setting enough for the camera to focus but then it uses the flash as set on Auto.

View attachment 776568

Wow that's quite the setup. I would like to run a gopro for video along side so maybe video lights are the way to go if they can be used for macros as well

Wow that's quite the setup. I would like to run a gopro for video along side so maybe video lights are the way to go if they can be used for macros as well

Of course they can be used for Macro. I use them for that often. This sea moth is maybe 3cm in length I got close used very low power... so low some the the sand looks a bit blue but not bothered by that. You can see the grains of sand.

SEA MOTH CLOSE UP.jpg

Be wary of the Lumens and runtime claims for some manufacturers, *cough * cough, big blue. Most lights, including bigblue, orcatorch, don't have what's called constant current drivers, meaning that the second you turn the light on the lumens immediately drop, and continue to do so until empty. So a 2000-lumen light will be 1000 in a few minutes. Some manufacturers, *cough *cough, have also been known to cite how many lumens their lights COULD produce, eg. if they had bigger battery packs, not what the actual light produces in its current state. SUPE/Scubalamp lights have drivers, are high quality, and have great customer service, that is why I recommend them.

Be wary of the Lumens and runtime claims for some manufacturers, *cough * cough, big blue. Most lights, including bigblue, orcatorch, don't have what's called constant current drivers, meaning that the second you turn the light on the lumens immediately drop, and continue to do so until empty. So a 2000-lumen light will be 1000 in a few minutes. Some manufacturers, *cough *cough, have also been known to cite how many lumens their lights COULD produce, eg. if they had bigger battery packs, not what the actual light produces in its current state. SUPE/Scubalamp lights have drivers, are high quality, and have great customer service, that is why I recommend them.

I see. I've been checking the classifieds so will be on the lookout

SUPE/Scubalamp lights

This is a Chinese company with a distributor in the US with same name, correct?

This is a Chinese company with a distributor in the US with same name, correct?
they have US dealers, and yes I believe they come from somewhere in asia, like pretty much all lights.

Edit: their contact card says China, and they are the dive subsidiary of Kolta Electronics, a very large producer of commercial leds and batteries

I use my Big Blues for 3 day dives and a night dive without charging batteries or drop off in illumination. Never had a drop off on my video's. I often find I have to reduce the power on photos and video's. Sometimes though I get the right amount of lighting so little or no editing required.

GOBI ON WHIP VINE.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom