Question Light for night macros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
P

pansbjorne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Been greatly enjoying macro mode on my TG-6. There were so many awesome critters at night but the base flash didn't really seem to get the job done.

Any recommendations for a first light to pick up? Should I even consider video lights or just stick with strobe?

Been greatly enjoying macro mode on my TG-6. There were so many awesome critters at night but the base flash didn't really seem to get the job done.

Any recommendations for a first light to pick up? Should I even consider video lights or just stick with strobe?

You can get combo strobe and video lights. Remember strobes cannot be used for video. I had a go pro with weaker lights. They were ok. If you are going to spend money on a good camera why go cheap on lights? Lighting is important.
I've seen fantastic photos with people using a small hand held torch.

Also learn to use the camera's functions. This shot taken at 34m depth on a small wreck site. Day dive. I used the exposure button and reduced to -3 to darken the background behind the Frog Fish.

Used 10% power for this night dive crab

FROG FISH WRECK 2.jpg

HERMIT ROUND SHELL.jpg

I had to spend time learning how to use my camera and lights. First few days of diving were not good.
I have also saved two presets CA C2 which you also need to do then use aperture mode for other shots.
It takes time but you will become proficient. Enjoy the diving.

FLATWORM BROWN.jpg

I recently bought a TG-6 for a trip to Roatan last week. After a few days using just a single video light and the TG-6 flash I was able to rent a Backscatter MF-2 (mini flash strobe) and one-handled tray from Mickey Charteris at CocoView Resort. It made quite a difference (although my skills still suck) and if the $400 for the MF-2 doesn't break the bank, it seems like a decent solution until you're ready to take the $$$ plunge. I'm seriously considering getting an MF-2 before my next trip.

FWIW, backscatter sells the XTAR 21700 batteries for about 2-3x the cost from XTAR directly (even with shipping included.)

I recently bought a TG-6 for a trip to Roatan last week. After a few days using just a single video light and the TG-6 flash I was able to rent a Backscatter MF-2 (mini flash strobe) and one-handled tray from Mickey Charteris at CocoView Resort. It made quite a difference (although my skills still suck) and if the $400 for the MF-2 doesn't break the bank, it seems like a decent solution until you're ready to take the $$$ plunge. I'm seriously considering getting an MF-2 before my next trip.

FWIW, backscatter sells the XTAR 21700 batteries for about 2-3x the cost from XTAR directly (even with shipping included.)
Or you can get the MF-1 with more readily available and cheaper 18650s.

Or you can get the MF-1 with more readily available and cheaper 18650s.
Can you still buy an MF-1? I'm not opposed to buying used (and am happy to save $$), but the difference in battery costs isn't that big a deal in the big scheme of things (2x 21700 + shipping = ca. $34 from XTARdirect.com). Shipping may take 2-3 weeks tho.

Besides the batteries, what else did they add to the MF-2?

Can you still buy an MF-1? I'm not opposed to buying used (and am happy to save $$), but the difference in battery costs isn't that big a deal in the big scheme of things (2x 21700 + shipping = ca. $34 from XTARdirect.com). Shipping may take 2-3 weeks tho.

Besides the batteries, what else did they add to the MF-2?
I think that they fixed some issues with the mf1. I wouldn't buy the mf1 even at a good deal myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom