Light Handle/Angle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS - what do you call that entanglement hazard attached to the end of the light... where the bolt-snap is supposed to be?

:shocked2:

BTW, I realize I'm becoming the butt of jokes here, but is this serious? Are the wrist lanyards that come with everything a bad idea?

image.jpg
Any loose line is a potetial harzard, they tend to get caught in everyting. The soft handle should have a noose where the boltsnap clips.

I've stopped putting clips on my lights and instead put a length of bungee that will stretch just enough to be pulled over the light. Never had a tangle with them. I certainly don't like to hold a light for any length of time. I've done it, but my arthritis acts up and the hand starts to ache.

Are the wrist lanyards that come with everything a bad idea?

I would simply type "yes" but the SB software requires at least five characters.

:D

This summer, I've finally done a few dives (night, cenote) with my own lights. From reading here, it seemed like all the cool kids had Goodman handles, but they seemed kind of expensive, so I went with Dive Gear Express's "soft handmount".

However, if I'm in horizontal trim with my hands clasped in front, the handle (on my left hand) points the light off to my right, and more upward than I'd like (vs. I'm usually looking more downward at reef life). So, I ended up just holding the light in my left hand, with the beam coming from the pinky side of my fist -- with my forearm in front of me (positioned like reading a wrist compass), I can shine the beam forward, and by rotating my wrist, I can aim the light easily downward or forward.

So... am I doing something wrong? How do people get a light handle that shines in the direction your fingers point to shine in the direction you want? Do you extend your arm straight out in front of you? Or does anyone make a light handle where the light is positioned across the back of your hand, instead of lined up with your fingers?

Thanks!

P.S. Huge thanks to Scubaboard folks for recommending the DGX 600! My light matched the cenote guide's canister light for both brightness and pattern, and he was really impressed that this was a $50 compact light.

What about a head lamp or BCD light mount ever consider trying those? These could give you hands free illumination and perhaps be another option for you.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

PS - what do you call that entanglement hazard attached to the end of the light... where the bolt-snap is supposed to be?

:shocked2:

Can light cord simulator? :joke:

What about a head lamp or BCD light mount ever consider trying those? These could give you hands free illumination and perhaps be another option for you.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

Frank, BTW, I got to say that I love your GoPro BCD mount! This has let me, as a newbie diver, get some fun videos of some great dives, with almost no task loading.

But for a light, I want to be able to easily point it wherever I want to look (as the others in this thread have been teasing me about), but just as importantly, to not point it where I'm looking, if for example, I'm looking at my buddy's face. So I've ruled out head lamps and BCD mounts. (Now, maybe if the light mount were servo-controlled, with neural sensors in my body, so I could redirect the light by just thinking about it... j/k)

You're kidding, right?

It is an option for those who would like not to use there hands to point towards or hold on to the lights. Some might not be used to having there hands outward all the time or they might not want to hold a light. A hands free system as I described could provide a solution to some who are looking for this type of hands free solution lighting solution.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

I thought I have seen it all. I was wrong!

Back
Top Bottom