Light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still using the Halcyon 21W HID with E/O cord and several battery packs for multiple dives. Is there a LED light head than can be used with a 11.1 Volt 6.3 Ah battery pack?

If that LED head would have a similar form factor than the big Halcyon HID head, even better. I like having the option of hitting the cave gremlins with a big Delrin club in case I catch them in the act. Just kidding, but that big thing hangs always straight down when clipped off and a piece of inner tube holds a few arrows and cookies neatly around the flat side of the transformer housing for quick access.

There is nothing wrong with the HID light, IMO. I like the color, focus and spill. I deal with the fragility of the bulbs by having two light heads in my gear and carry a halogen bulb tube for the Halcyon head on each dive. Just getting a case of LED envy, I guess.
HID is fine. your burn time and durability will increase quite a bit if you buy a focus light head. I wouldn't recommend those hand grenade battery packs they come with these days. just a light head with an eo you can use on your current canisters

I personally don't like the can light for two reasons. It's a can attached to your but and I already have enough gear hanging off of me, and the other reason is I don't want the cord which is one more thing to get in the way. I'm using the Big Blue 3,500lm as a primary and two of their 1200np lights as backups. I've been very happy with this and usually don't use it on full power anyway. It's also a lot les expensive that a can light and much less cumbersome while being very bright and having pretty reasonable burn time. there's also a Goodman handle available that costs $99 which is pretty expensive for a little piece of bent aluminum but even with the light and handle, it would still be less than half a can light from light monkey.

I know some people that love their can lights though and that's just what they're going to use. If you have a chance, try both and see which you personally prefer. One thing is for sure though, if you're back in a cave and all your lights die on you because they were cheap Chinese noisy crickets, you would have wished you'd spent more money for a dependable light.

People will often take cost into consideration when it comes to things your life depends on and I don't understand it. When you're in a situation where you might die, I guarantee anyone would spend a million dollars to stay alive. I've had a parachuting accident before with a collapse shoot and a failed reserve, thank god it happened at around 70 feet up and I only broke my back and had to have a spinal fusion. Primary's fail and backups fail, do you trust your life with a $80 noisy cricket from China.

People will often take cost into consideration when it comes to things your life depends on and I don't understand it. When you're in a situation where you might die, I guarantee anyone would spend a million dollars to stay alive.

You don't dive in such a way that a light failure would cause your death, do you?

I agree that it's worth spending money on a good quality light, but it nothing to do with saving your life. It has to do with enjoying cave diving. A team has at a minimum 6 lights, and training to navigate out of the cave without any light.

I personally don't like the can light for two reasons. It's a can attached to your but and I already have enough gear hanging off of me, and the other reason is I don't want the cord which is one more thing to get in the way. I'm using the Big Blue 3,500lm as a primary and two of their 1200np lights as backups. I've been very happy with this and usually don't use it on full power anyway. It's also a lot les expensive that a can light and much less cumbersome while being very bright and having pretty reasonable burn time. there's also a Goodman handle available that costs $99 which is pretty expensive for a little piece of bent aluminum but even with the light and handle, it would still be less than half a can light from light monkey.

I know some people that love their can lights though and that's just what they're going to use. If you have a chance, try both and see which you personally prefer. One thing is for sure though, if you're back in a cave and all your lights die on you because they were cheap Chinese noisy crickets, you would have wished you'd spent more money for a dependable light.

People will often take cost into consideration when it comes to things your life depends on and I don't understand it. When you're in a situation where you might die, I guarantee anyone would spend a million dollars to stay alive. I've had a parachuting accident before with a collapse shoot and a failed reserve, thank god it happened at around 70 feet up and I only broke my back and had to have a spinal fusion. Primary's fail and backups fail, do you trust your life with a $80 noisy cricket from China.
Where are Big Blue lights made?

Where are Big Blue lights made?

China / Tiawan but I have been impressed by their 4500 / 4800 handheld. Their can lights have some issues as you have to unscrew the cord to charge the battery. If you haven't tried one of their 4500 / 4800 handheld lights I think you will be suprised. Their soft Goodman handle isn't the best but their are other options or modifications you can make. For sub $400 they are hard to beat for 3 hour or less dives. I have used it on a 5 hour dive by backing the level down and it worked fine.

I agree that there are plenty of protocols and backups to get out of a cave if your light goes out. If you're having another emergency though and all of the sudden your lights go out, it's one more added thing to worry about. If you can't signal a buddy in an emergency then it doesn't matter if there are protocols to get out of the cave whether you have a light or not. I also realize that for most cases, yes I'm being a bit extreme on how I'm looking at this. I've seen a lot of things not go as planned and what ever I can do to minimize that I'm all for it.

Big Blue makes some very nice durable lights at a great price and I've been very happy with them. Light Monkey may be a better light overall but I'm pretty happy with Big Blue.

China / Tiawan but I have been impressed by their 4500 / 4800 handheld. Their can lights have some issues as you have to unscrew the cord to charge the battery. If you haven't tried one of their 4500 / 4800 handheld lights I think you will be suprised. Their soft Goodman handle isn't the best but their are other options or modifications you can make. For sub $400 they are hard to beat for 3 hour or less dives. I have used it on a 5 hour dive by backing the level down and it worked fine.
It seems like it would have a normal “less than focused” LED beam that’s not great in anything but clear water.

That’s my gripe with most LED lights on the market.

It seems like it would have a normal “less than focused” LED beam that’s not great in anything but clear water.

That’s my gripe with most LED lights on the market.

It is way better than UWLD. Definitely not a light saver like an hid light but I think you would actually be impressed. I certainly was.

It is way better than UWLD. Definitely not a light saver like an hid light but I think you would actually be impressed. I certainly was.
Well that’s good to hear.

I originally came from the Seattle area diving the PNW and was fine with Big Blue's narrow beam LED in less than ideal conditions. I haven't tried other LED lights there though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom