Lighter Spring for Dump Valve on Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Dawson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings,

I have a Dive Rite Trek wings...that I have rebuilt all but the bladder itself and the dump valve. It inflates to a VERY high pressure [like tight as a drum] before the dump valve purges pressure. It is like an air hose from my compressor!

Is there a way to get a lighter spring? Of all the wings [new used] and BCDs [new/used] I have never seen anything near as high of pressure as this one. I was hoping to put in a lighter spring and see about making the wing last longer....without blowing up :)

The dump valve has been disassembled, cleaned and serviced. It just seems the spring is too high.

I was going to suggest that i might be sticky, but you say you cleaned it. Just get a new one from dive gear express, i think they have them for $15.

I'm not sure why you are worried about it blowing up though, surely the bladder is constrained by the outer cordura layer?

I bought new seals for the power inflator hose [where it attaches to the bladder] and a new power inflator itself, etc...but, at full inflation, it is really strained it seems. My new OMS wings were tight at fully inflated, but nothing like this. I had a leak where the hose attached to the bladder until I really, really reefed down the seal there with the BCD tools...and I got to wondering that perhaps the bladder was being over inflated.

I am thinking like a 10-15% lighter spring would help take some of the stress off.

I might look into getting a new one from DGE....not a bad suggestion :)

Thanks.... guess, if I get it and the bladder still really, really inflates...I can modify a spring [cut is slightly like them high school kids cut the springs on their parents' Accord to make it scrape over speed bumps]....

Can you explain what you're going for here?

I'm not understanding why you want/need a lighter spring for your dump.

Are you inflating the bladder outside the shell? When it's in the shell, it should be restrained enough that it's not going to blow at the seam. Your bladder would have to be smaller than the shell in order to over-inflate it.

Scuba Cobra: I believe the bladder is over pressurizing...perhaps the previous owner replaced the factory dump valve with an aftermarket one that is of a higher rate/resistance than the original factory spring. What I am looking for is a source for replacement springs that have different spring rates/resistances. Or perhaps different brands have different rates and I can swap in one to allow for less pressure in the bladder. For example...currently the bladder is at 100psi [just a guess] when fully inflated/pressurized, and for the bladder to be fully inflated at all scenarios it needs only 75psi...perhaps I can put in a lighter spring that would allow for 75psi.

guruboy: I realize that shortening the spring will not change the spring rate...my fault!

johnny C: No this is not being inflated out of the shell. I mean over pressurizing rather than over inflating.

Contact DiveRite, there was a recall of these springs on some of their wings, I don’t know if this is included but they will.

Back
Top Bottom