Lighter Spring for Dump Valve on Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's my point. He said in the second sentence of his original post that it works. This whole thread seems to be over his arbitrary spring tension on an OPV...

This may just be an exercise in gaining peace of mind...there are plenty of threads on SB that seem to be an exercise in the ridiculous far beyond anything being discussed in this thread.

The OP is unsure if his purchased used gear is working correctly. He has checked it, double checked it, contacted the manufacturer...none of which will ever be able to indicate if the spring is OEM or not...or even if the spring is at the far end of the bell curve of normal deviation for manufacture tolerance. The OP is at a crossroad as to the decision to replace the spring/OPV or not.

One can always not click on a thread if one finds it uninteresting...or one can tilt at the windmills of why anyone posts on SB. Its an individuals choice either way.

-Z

Great info, Lex! I just looked it up and found this:

Diving Equipment Recalled by Dive Rite Due to Drowning Hazard

My wing is a black bladder and not affected...but...this is important info, nonetheless :) Thank you!!

I was given an older DR Rec model wing for doubles. It fell in the recall range. DR sent me a new spring when I contacted them, but I chose to replace the OPV anyway. OPV are pretty cheap.

Scuba Cobra: to be clear, I believe that the BCD is not working as intended. Over pressurizing the BCD will lead to failure at the seals...which...happened to me. Hence, my rebuilding many of the parts including the seal where the hose attaches to the bladder. I inflate my BCD to full [where the OPV/dump valve burps] before every dive as is taught in PADI [BWRAF] to fully inflate your BCD.

This is not a convenience thing for me...but a safety one.

I will fully concede that this is my first Dive rite wing...and it is used...so, I do not have a great baseline of what normal is for this wing. My basis for "normal" is the new OMS wings I have had before. None were nearly as pressurized as this one. Upon fully inflated [to where the OPV/dump valve burps], if I release air out of the mouthpiece valve...it is nearly as powerful as my 120psi shop air line hose. As a Senior HW test engineer at Microsoft and currently a HW Dev PC3 at Oculus with experience in building pneumatic systems...my opinion...is this bladder is overpressurized.

Marie13: Buying a new OPV is not a guarantee...but worth a try considering it is only $5 plus shipping.

I do sincerely appreciate everyone's input. Was hoping that there was a source for different springs that was readily available...if not, now I know :)

Scuba Cobra: to be clear, I believe that the BCD is not working as intended. Over pressurizing the BCD will lead to failure at the seals...which...happened to me. Hence, my rebuilding many of the parts including the seal where the hose attaches to the bladder. I inflate my BCD to full [where the OPV/dump valve burps] before every dive as is taught in PADI [BWRAF] to fully inflate your BCD.

This is not a convenience thing for me...but a safety one.

I will fully concede that this is my first Dive rite wing...and it is used...so, I do not have a great baseline of what normal is for this wing. My basis for "normal" is the new OMS wings I have had before. None were nearly as pressurized as this one. Upon fully inflated [to where the OPV/dump valve burps], if I release air out of the mouthpiece valve...it is nearly as powerful as my 120psi shop air line hose. As a Senior HW test engineer at Microsoft and currently a HW Dev PC3 at Oculus with experience in building pneumatic systems...my opinion...is this bladder is overpressurized.

Marie13: Buying a new OPV is not a guarantee...but worth a try considering it is only $5 plus shipping.

I do sincerely appreciate everyone's input. Was hoping that there was a source for different springs that was readily available...if not, now I know :)

I think your wing is dangerously defective and you should send it to me for proper disposal....you know, to keep the world safe and all.
:wink:

-Z

Zef, I am moved by your commitment to my safety!! You are a guardian angel and I will totally send it to you for safe disposal!!

OK, just paypal me for shipping and handling: $25 shipping, and $225 for handling :wink:

Reactions: Zef
You can test by orally inflating which should not overpressurize the bladder. While diving it is unusual to need to completely fill the wing and in general you can avoid giving your bladder a hydro test every dive with just a little care.

Hi @couv, thanks! I am not convinced it will actually fix the issue...and yes, it is an unscrew/re-screw test...cheap and easy...I am mulling it over...

I am not convinced it will actually fix the issue.
Hi @Andrew Dawson ,

If the issue is "the valve is not relieving excess pressure," what else could cause the problem other than a stuck plug or too stiff of a spring? Can you pull the cord and vent pressure from the wing? If not, the cage housing or string could be interfering with the stopper or the spring is not positioned correctly in the cage. All of these discrepancies will be fixed by replacing the assembly.

Back
Top Bottom