Lights for OW diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neilwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am just wondering if people can shed some light on what they use for OW lights. I would have posted in the equipment section but I guess tech/wreck divers would have a different set of light requirements.

Not looking for a can light or anything too expensive (I am already spending a fortune on gearing up) but just something for a bit of additional light for seeing into crevices or when swimming deeper.

Do you carry one or two? What strength of light? Switch type?

I own a variety of lights from simple back ups to a 21 watt HID. I used to own a few of the Princeton Tec lights when I first started diving. Not bad lights. Warranty service was great. Problem is it was often needed. Every one I had ended up with the switch falling apart and the light flooding. I went to Pelican 3 C cell lights and still have those but being standard halogen and big they only see surface use.
When I started tech diving I discovered the twist on lights and the first two I bought were the Dorcy aluminum body ones. Liked em so much I ended up with 5. Now down to two relegated to household use and the car.
Not because they were bad but I gave one to my GF and two of them were trashed due to using duracell batteries in them. Using eveready's I never had an issue with storing them closed. The duracells off gassed and corroded destroying the battery trays.
For open water dives now I carry a HOG Morph, a HOG safety 1000, and a piglet. Do I need 3? Not necessarily. But even if I'm not using one of my can lights I don't like to change light placement.
The Morph is in my right thigh pocket or in my hand, the piglet in the left thigh pocket, the 1000 in my sidemount rig's front pouch. If diving backmount the 1000 clips on a shoulder d ring.
I also have a small AAA light on my mask strap that is unobtrusive and really comes in handy for looking in small places as I don't need to get my hand in the way.

My first dive light was a pistol grip model, an old UW Kinetics C8. It worked well enough for daylight use, but I didn't like the pistol grip with the lanyard for night diving. Whenever I let go of the light to leave it hanging from its lanyard, it would rotate and swing back and forth, the beam horizontal. Pretty annoying for my buddy.

My next light was a Sola from Light & Motion. A bit on the expensive side, and battery life was only around two rec dives before it needed charging. It's small and neat, though, and I like the soft Goodman-handle-like grip. It's still my primary light. You can get soft grips for mounting a normal "straight" type light on your hand for a cheaper option. My backup is one of these, mounted on my harness, cavediver-style. Since it's sitting on my harness, I'm always carrying it. I almost always bring my primary, too, BTW. Even on daytime dives. I prefer carrying a light most of the time for seeing the colors properly, for looking into crevices and under rocks for critters and since I often dive in poor light and poor viz. Since you're in Scotland, I'd guess you'd benefit from carrying a light most of the time, too :)

If I'm recommending a first light for one of my clubmates, I'd probably tell them to buy something with a similar form factor as my backup light, and with a twist switch. Not too expensive, no annoying pistol grip and easily mounted on the harness as a backup if and when they decide to fork out for something more expensive. Just be aware that there are a lot of different options and a lot of different preferences when it comes to dive lights, so this can be an interesting discussion...

The GoBe by Light and Motion is a very, very nice alternative to it's more expensive cousin, the Sola, mentioned by Storker. I'm a cheap SOB, and the GoBe is priced nicely for me. It is quite versatile, having a choice of interchangeable light heads.

I'm going to differ with some of the advice above. Yes, twist on-off is reliable and often a bit cheaper, but it takes two hands and is an annoyance if you are using the light sporadically during a dive. A push button on the side or end is really nice! Switches have a reputation for low reliability; that seems to have changed with the newer lights, but old opinions linger on.

An example of a bullet-proof light, 3xAAA batteries, plenty bright even for daytime use, is Amazon.com : New Intova Compact LED Scuba Diving Torch Light - 230 Lumens : Sports & Outdoors.

I have the light that doby linked to and like it alot. I am about to buy a second as a backup and a few others as Christmas presents.

I can appreciate what tursiops mentioned regarding the twist switch. As of now it has been a minor inconvenience.

Thanks for the feedback - got a few ideas there.

Cheap is definitely good but I don't want to buy something and it to fall apart first dive.

And Storker, you are right about the Scottish diving. Additional light is not a bad thing even during the daytime as the water is not the clearest.

With it mounted in the mount that I use I only use a single hand to turn my light on. Left hand grabs turny thing and TA DA, light come on..

With it mounted in the mount that I use I only use a single hand to turn my light on. Left hand grabs turny thing and TA DA, light come on..
Yeah, your light actually has a magnetic twist-switch.....it is not the kind that takes two hands. I'm referring to the traditional kind where the twist on-off is not a switch, but rather moves the contacts to touch the battery or not. Your switch is susceptible to the same problem all the switch lights seem to have, which is getting a little corrosion/oxidation/silt under/around the moving switch, thus preventing it from moving. You just need to keep it clean....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom