Lights for OW diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, but $1200 ain't in my budget any time soon.

You missed the point in the post. today and tomorrow it is 50% off...get a great can light for $600.

I haven't seen Sanyo or Tenergy 26650s anywhere and I'm pretty sure if you find some they'll be counterfeit.

I'm happy to take your word for that. My batteries are all 18650s and the Sanyo and Tenergy are "as rated". I got 6 x Sanyo (3400mAh) for something like $8 apiece (with shipping), buying on eBay. From a Canadian seller, IIRC.

If 26650s are generally only 4000 mAh (is that right?), I wonder if they are really worth messing with anyway, when you can get 18650s that are 3400.

---------- Post added November 17th, 2015 at 06:56 PM ----------

You missed the point in the post. today and tomorrow it is 50% off...get a great can light for $600.

Doh! I saw where you said it was $600 off and when I went to the site, something made me think it was normally $1800 and being offered for $1200.

At $600, that is a more realistic consideration. Now I have some questions, which I will post in the other thread. But, since you said in this thread that it is a "great can light", can you say what your assessment is based on? Is that just based on specs? Or do you or someone you know have hands-on experience with this light? I am not familiar with the Deep 6 brand. Does that factor into your assessment?

I'm happy to take your word for that. My batteries are all 18650s and the Sanyo and Tenergy are "as rated". I got 6 x Sanyo (3400mAh) for something like $8 apiece (with shipping), buying on eBay. From a Canadian seller, IIRC.

If 26650s are generally only 4000 mAh (is that right?), I wonder if they are really worth messing with anyway, when you can get 18650s that are 3400.

No, they can go over 5000, the problem is finding ones that actually do. My $8/ea ones are stamped 6000 mAh and I'll be surprised if they deliver more than 3400.

Doh! I saw where you said it was $600 off and when I went to the site, something made me think it was normally $1800 and being offered for $1200.

At $600, that is a more realistic consideration. Now I have some questions, which I will post in the other thread. But, since you said in this thread that it is a "great can light", can you say what your assessment is based on? Is that just based on specs? Or do you or someone you know have hands-on experience with this light? I am not familiar with the Deep 6 brand. Does that factor into your assessment?
I took a look at their gear at DEMA; appears to be quality, well-made stuff, and serious guys starting this new on-line direct-sales activity.
Yes, the specs are good. The 4000 lumens is probably about 60W, so even if greatly overspec'd is still impressive. Comparable lights from Dive Rite and LM are comparably priced....before the 50% 48h discount. So...you go with the known brands, and don't buy one because they are too expensive, or you take a leap of faith and try it out.

It'll be fun to see what you do. I've got two can lights (much dimmer, and not L-Ion) but would jump on this otherwise.

I cary one light if its daytime and two for night dives. I've had several inexpensive lights--the best of which was an Intova LED for about $50. My current lights cost more (about $150), but I really love them; Big Blue rechargeable dive lights in the narrow and wide beam versions. indestructable, small, and good light output.

They sold out of those in a few minutes. Just saw on Facebook page for them.
Well, it appears they only had two on the flash special.
He who hesitates is...in the dark.

What's the burn time on a 18650? I get about 90 minutes to noticeable loss of brightness from a single-LED T6 XM-L, makes me wonder if the 3-LED version runs out of juice before I run out of air. Let's ignore battery capacity: mAh ratings printed on half the rechargeables out there are about as meaningful as lumen ratings on those flashlights.

i have ran my light with a 18650 well past 45min with no loss of brightness. I am only getting the 26650s because that is the "correct" battery for the light. I will let you know how it does on the 26650s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom