Lightweight alternative to Jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I completely agree with the Deep 6 Eddy's. I still love my Jets for local diving in drysuit, doubles and stages but for travel and single tank diving I absolutely love the Deep 6s.

I got to try the Deep6 Eddy fins yesterday, thanks to my good friend @wetb4igetinthewater.

I have only used my Scubapro Jetfins, exclusively since about 2007....which is going on 15yrs.

Well...here is the quick review:

Pros: very light! Neutral-slightly sinking in freshwater. Very Stiff. Big foot pocket, good build quality, size L was very much the same size as my XL SP Jetfins.

Cons: My technique was way off with these compared to the Jetfins. The Eddy's had me doing a much more calf heavy action...and my right foot developed a pain in the center of the sole. It is still a bit sore this morning. I want to be clear, this does not seem to be an issue with the fins. Also, I am an open water diver, no wreck or cave diving for me. I say that because those involve very specific finning techniques that I did not try with these Eddy's...so...my calf use and foot pain could be from my technique or my DUI Rock Boots [which have a few mods to the laces area].

Otherwise, I believe I will likely buy a pair of these fins in the near future and strive to adapt myself to them. I gotta change!
Too bad I got skunked from bad AST sensors. I would have liked to have watched your technique. Hold onto the fins until we dive together again.

I tried Jets but that abomination of a foot pocket plus they were too heavy for my wonky knees. Eddys hit the sweet spot for me.

Thank you everyone for this great discussion on fins.

I am no longer cave diving, but I am a photographer and I really love my Jetfins for maneuvering. So all I need now is a lightweight travel fin that gives me the same control as my Jets. I like a serious head-down trim when I have a camera (to keep my feet away from the reef), and the heavy Jets are a PITA in that regard.

I am intrigued by the comments that some fins give you more back-kicking power than Jets, which would be very useful to me.

Should I save my beloved Jets, or sell them? What's the resale value?

I am no longer cave diving, but I am a photographer and I really love my Jetfins for maneuvering. So all I need now is a lightweight travel fin that gives me the same control as my Jets. I like a serious head-down trim when I have a camera (to keep my feet away from the reef), and the heavy Jets are a PITA in that regard.

I am intrigued by the comments that some fins give you more back-kicking power than Jets, which would be very useful to me.

I am heavily into u/w photo, I choose SP Go Sport fins without any hesitation.

I've had some very bad experiences with OMS customer service, and so I am hesitant to buy anything OMS.

I've had some very bad experiences with OMS customer service, and so I am hesitant to buy anything OMS.
I've heard the same, but it isn't like fins will need yearly maintainance. Aftermarket spring straps are easy enough to find.

I did pick up a pair of their tribal (tribe) fins for cold water to look a bit different, making it easier to track me (kind of helpful on your way out when diving Cove 2 and there's an open water class that has silted up the place). My email request for what sealant is used for my DUI dry suit went unanswered. Fortunately folks here helped me out.

Well.... they are used fins and there are no moving parts and no warranty.

And I can assure anyone who buys them that, OMS will not be involved in the transaction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom