Lightweight hood for scalp sun protection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have exactly what you are looking for. Lycra hood in two color options.. Of course we also offer matching pants and shirt for complete coverage, if you don't need/want the thermal protection of a wetsuit.

Camo Lycra Hood | MAKO Spearguns

MCLH-2T.jpg

Dive Skin Rashguard 3 Piece Package | MAKO Spearguns

MDSR3P-2T.jpg

I've tried the Riffe Lycra hood:
Amazon.com : Riffe Cryptic Camo Lycra Hood (Reef) : Wetsuit : Sports & Outdoors
It should be similar to the Mako hood. They fit well under a wet suit top, and are of a thicker variety of Lycra.

The Henderson lycra hood recommended by @uncfnp is lighter, also fits fairly well under a wet suit top, but does not have the tailoring of the Riffe and Mako hoods. Scuba Max makes a similar hood:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scuba-Ma...7817&wl11=online&wl12=198729466&wl13=&veh=sem
Aeroskin has a similar product if you want color and don't mind spending a little more:
Samoa L572 – Aeroskin Worldwide

All of them will likely benefit from the modification of adding holes to vent entrapped air.

Last edited:
+2 for the Henderson Lycra Hood. I have not had to cut any vent holes in ours, but we do tuck the neck flange under our rash guard/wetsuit to minimize air getting into the hood, and I smooth out any wrinkles before submerging. They are very light weight and dry quickly.

Better looking than the standard black beanie with chin strap...but is it secure? Any chance of it popping off on a back roll or giant stride?

The standard black beanie with a chin strap makes me look horrid but I put up with it for all its functionality. But I'm vain and want to look more stylish.:p

The Scap is reasonably secure--I have never had it "pop off." The mask strap goes over the tail of the Scap. The part that contacts your forehead has rubber dots to help keep it from sliding up your forehead. I tried a different brand of scuba "do-rag" and found that it riding up my forehead was a problem.

Sure, a lycra hood would be that much more secure. I hate hoods, though.

You wear that underwater?
I do. Unlike a bucket hat, the built-in bill keeps it out from my vision and the strap keeps it in place. It keeps my ears safe from jellies and I don't get burned on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom