Likelite AF35 with Canon camera and housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lazydaysdiver

Registered
Reaction score
way too far from the ocean, working on it.
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Canon Powershot A650 IS with Canon housing and am looking for a strobe. My price range is about $500 but can go higher, you have to start somewhere. I'm totally new to UW and above water photography and really need advice. Like does my camera even have a preflash?

So, I was searching the threads and didn't find much about the Ikelite AF 35. Has anyone tried it? like it, so so? Has anyone tried it with this camera and housing? Would love to hear feedback. Also, if someone has other ideas on different stobes that you have tried and like (or ones to stay a way from) I'd love to hear from you too.

Thanks, Peace, Love and Scuba

lazydays
I use Inon D2000 type 3 for my G9 - it is very compact great strobe at reasonable price with sufficient power (much more powerfull than AF35) for makro. Its STTL and auto function work well although I prefer in manual mode. This strobe and FO syn will cost around USD 500 excluding arm and tray. Inon also just recently released their S2000, smaller size, more sensitive; but no focus light; cost slightly lower than D2000.
If your budget is limited; you can also consider Epoque ES-230DS, low cost - less than USD 300, working in auto and manual, laser aiming light, claim GN23 but will reduce as you will need difuser to widen and soften the light. I pair this strobe with my SP-350. In general, lower performance compared with D2000 but again more powerfull than AF35 (if I am not wrong only GN14).

I have an Olympus and just bought the AF 35...I used it on 14 dives in Cozumel. It was easy to use and has quite a few different settings. I don't know if this helps, but I just thought I would throw it out there.

If your price range is 500 dollars then there are several options that will work much better than the little AF35 and they are options that you can grow with.

First, YS makes some nuice strobes in tha tprice range.

But, for under 500 there is the brand new, ultra miniture Inon S2000 and for a a bit over 500 there is the wonderful Inon D2000. The External Auto mode that the D2000 has is a very useful feature, I use it 90% of the time with my Canon 570 with better results than I would have imagined.

IMG_0712.jpg

Since it is a multi mode strobe there is a learning curve to understand how it works and which mode is correct for how you like ot shoot. It has a full manual mode, a simulated (s)TTL mode and an External Auto mode. I don't think any other strobe unit has the combination of features, large coverage (105 degrees circular), power and quality. The optical link on mine, thus far, has been 100%. The S2000 is the same but smaller and does not have the External Auto mode.

N

I use the AF35 strobe with an SD770IS in Canon housing. It works well but I have no experience with other brands.

Recently I bought, from Reef Photo, a double tray with a short flex arm for the right side to hold a focusing light, but have not tried this yet.

I've noticed a bias here against this strobe, apparently from people who have no experience with it, which I don't understand.

Adam

I use the AF35 strobe with an SD770IS in Canon housing. It works well but I have no experience with other brands.

Recently I bought, from Reef Photo, a double tray with a short flex arm for the right side to hold a focusing light, but have not tried this yet.

I've noticed a bias here against this strobe, apparently from people who have no experience with it, which I don't understand.

Adam

No, not bias, I just read the specs and looked at the price. The AF35 is just not exactly cheap at 420 dollars and for a bit more you can have a strobe that will function not only with a P&S but also a dSLR or about anything with a great deal more power a great deal wider coverage and much more control and operating capability. One could also say that since you have not used a more capable strobe like the Inon or YS that you don't realize what you are missing.

If the AF35 cost 300 dollars I would not be negative toward it, at 420 dollars the Inon S2000 is far more capable and more powerful and more coverage.

AF35:

Coverage with diffuser 75 degrees
Guide Number is 16

Inon S/D2000

Coverage greater than 100 degrees
Guide number 20

The Inon has a lot more power as evidenced by the greater coverage and higher guide number.

Inon S-2000 S-TTL Strobe [ino.417] - $449.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

It isn't bias, it is that in a direct comparison it does not stack up at 420 dollars. I also don't like the way it syncs without a cable. The Inon allows you to cover the camera strobe with a film that passes only infrared thus your camera emits no visible flash, the Inon triggers on IR. For an expenditure of another 100 dollars, give or take, you just get so much more functional capability.

N

I appreciate all the input and after doing the comparisons with the recommended strobes, I realized one very important thing. (Well, more than one, but other then i have a lot to to learn.) For the quality and bang for my buck my price range just wasn't cutting it.

My determining factors are Guide Number (at least 20), TTL option, at least 5 settings, flashes per charge ( at least 200) Price is no longer a determining factor.

Unfortunately the AF 35 doesn't cut it, not even close with only a guide number of 9.
I have narrowed my choices to Inon S2000, Inon 2000 type3 and Sea & Sea 250PRO

I'm leaning toward the Sea&Sea because it beats the rest with the guide number of 32 but has half the flashes/charge and I would prefer not to ever have to go to a second strobe, but of course it costs almost double the others.

Ugh why are there so many dang choices.

Just a thought... as I was in the same boat about a month ago. I was going to get the AF-35's, then decided to do some research first. I ended up with (2) Sea&Sea YS-110a's and the below arm set. After shipping, everything was just over $1000

Everything was bought from the same seller on ebay. It all comes from Hong Kong, but his shipping is super fast (DHL) with it only taking 3-4 days.
The bottom picture is the end result. I'm still waiting on my fiber optic cables to come in.
No pictures yet, but I'm leaving for Florida on the 6th of May for 2 weeks. I should have some good feedback when I come home.

Sea&Sea YS110a

Arm and Tray set

Fiber Optic Cables

2906_1141215484884_1062343950_411860_5101025_n.jpg

Paul - excelent feedback and thanks for adding the picture and links. The cable is one i have been looking to find so that is really helpful. What a small world because I have been messaging back to the same ebay seller. He's the one with the YS 250. Have fun in Florida and can't wait to hear and see the results of your new set-up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom