Likelite AF35 with Canon camera and housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No problem. Glad I could help. Lord knows that I received TONS of help from members on this forum.

The reason I chose the YS-110a and not hte 250PRO is very simply that the YS-110 uses AA batteries. I hate being tied down by a battery / charging system that isn't readily available. I was on a cruise once and my charger for my Canon Rebel Xti broke. I couldn't use the camera the entire trip, and I missed a ton of great topside shots. Since then, I have bought the extended grip and it allows the use of 8 AA batteries. AA's are available just about anywhere =)

Have fun and keep us posted on what you decide to get!

Good point on the recharding system vs the AA batteries. I guess i hadn't really given the YS 110 much thought until this morning. It's Guide number being 22, 320 flashes/charge, a little slower on the recycle time at 3 sec but not a deal breaker, price is a plus. Ok this one going into the mix as well. thanks again

Here is a great site to compare strobes side by side. I used this extensively while searching for the right one for me.

Strobe Finder

I had also given thought to the recycle time, however, I plan on shooting mostly macro which won't require the power to be turned up to the max. The recycle times posted are from max discharge to ready status. With only 1/2 power or less, the recharge time will be much quicker. I guess it depends on if you plan on shooting mostly wide angle or macro.

I appreciate all the input and after doing the comparisons with the recommended strobes, I realized one very important thing. (Well, more than one, but other then i have a lot to to learn.) For the quality and bang for my buck my price range just wasn't cutting it.

My determining factors are Guide Number (at least 20), TTL option, at least 5 settings, flashes per charge ( at least 200) Price is no longer a determining factor.

Unfortunately the AF 35 doesn't cut it, not even close with only a guide number of 9.
I have narrowed my choices to Inon S2000, Inon 2000 type3 and Sea & Sea 250PRO

I'm leaning toward the Sea&Sea because it beats the rest with the guide number of 32 but has half the flashes/charge and I would prefer not to ever have to go to a second strobe, but of course it costs almost double the others.

Ugh why are there so many dang choices.

The Sea and Sea are great strobes but I don't think they have the external auto mode the Inon D2000 has. I am biased to that unit because I find that external auto mode to be most useful. You might step up to the Inon Z240 but I don't think you need that extra expense. The D2000 is a very small strobe, the S2000 is even smaller but it does not have the external auto mode.

Inon modes:

1. sTTL is a simulated TTL mode, camera set with forced flash in auto

2. External Auto, camera set in manual or aperture priority, match the strobe aperture setting to the camera aperture setting

3. Manual, set camera to manual or Av and you set strobe power in nine setting plus full power

Yeah, I guess I am biased, sorry.

N

No, not bias, I just read the specs and looked at the price. The AF35 is just not exactly cheap at 420 dollars and for a bit more you can have a strobe that will function not only with a P&S but also a dSLR or about anything with a great deal more power a great deal wider coverage and much more control and operating capability. One could also say that since you have not used a more capable strobe like the Inon or YS that you don't realize what you are missing.

If the AF35 cost 300 dollars I would not be negative toward it, at 420 dollars the Inon S2000 is far more capable and more powerful and more coverage.

AF35:

Coverage with diffuser 75 degrees
Guide Number is 16

Inon S/D2000

Coverage greater than 100 degrees
Guide number 20

The Inon has a lot more power as evidenced by the greater coverage and higher guide number.

Inon S-2000 S-TTL Strobe [ino.417] - $449.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

It isn't bias, it is that in a direct comparison it does not stack up at 420 dollars. I also don't like the way it syncs without a cable. The Inon allows you to cover the camera strobe with a film that passes only infrared thus your camera emits no visible flash, the Inon triggers on IR. For an expenditure of another 100 dollars, give or take, you just get so much more functional capability.

N

Actually the Af35 is $400 at Amazon and Adorama which includes the hardware, tray and Flex Arm with handle. I may be wrong but the Inon strobe includes no arm system, and that has to provided separately.

In either case I would recommend getting the dual tray, so you can attach a small arm on the other side for a light.

Adam

Having seen the tray and arm that is provided with the AF35 I am not impressed. It is not upgradeable. What you get with the AF35 is an integrated unit with little or no growth capability and very little power, coverage or shooting flexibility. The AF35 does not have external auto, it does not have a no-preflash setting.

The separate Ikelite tray, double or single is much nicer using the pro type ball sockets and any arm system. Inon and Sea & Sea offer ball adapters for their strobes.

This picture demonstrates the power of the D2000, I am using an ultra wide lens covering a FOV in excess of 130 degrees. Notice the circular flash pattern corresponding to the 105 degrees coverage of the D2000. With a standard wide angle lens the D2000 can fully cover, with my Inon 100WAL plus dome corrector, not quite able to do that.

IMG_0594.jpg

It does not take much engineering to add an arm to the single grip Ikelite tray. I could as easily add a second strobe or light (the D2000 has a very bright target light) or my meter. I don't like the double grips on smaller cameras but that is a personal preference, YRMV.

DSCF0022-1.jpg

Canon A570IS, Ikelite tray, Inon D2000 strobe, Sekonic meter on homemade bracket, Inon 165AD fisheye lens, homemade deflector and optical connector.

IMG_0849.jpg

N

Do you realize that strobe will not mimic your A650 preflash?

You started out asking about the Yugo of strobes and bought the Hummer, well, OK, and for a Canon 650 :confused: ?

Good luck.

Wait for me:

IMG_0592.jpg

N

Last edited:
Do you realize that strobe will not mimic your A650 preflash?

You started out asking about the Yugo of strobes and bought the Hummer, well, OK, and for a Canon 650 :confused: ?

Good luck.

Wait for me:

N
be ready to break the bank
to be consistent with criteria no 2, ie. TTL option, after arm&tray - the next step is to upgrade the camera :depressed: either G10 with Ikelite or fisheye or patima housing or jump to DSLR system become a real PRO :) don't forget to buy TTL converter, spare battery; second similar strobe ..oh.. then my wife will ask for divorce

I know, i know - Yugo to Hummer. But it does give me a reason to upgrade the camera. :) Actually the 650 with 12+ pix takes excellent pictures. I just had some framed that were enlarged to fit a 18x24 frame. No loss in clarity or bluriness at all. So even though i went with the flagship strobe, I didn't want 2 strobes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom