Lionfish Hunting around Broward, WPB or Dade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul_S

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys,

I'm both a new member here and I'm new to diving. In fact, I'm still earning my certification. My friend, however, is a PADI certified OW/Nitrox diver. While I wait to finish my classes, I thought he and I could try our hands at lionfish hunting (we both have FL SW fishing licenses).

Do you know of any areas that fit these criteria?

• In Broward, WPB, Dade or the upper keys.
  • Accessible to both Scuba and freedivers (preferably from shore).
  • Spearfishing is legal there, at least in the context of taking lionfish.
  • Lionfish have been found there.

I know it's an odd set of requirements, but between the various regulations that prohibit spearfishing and the depths and locations of many popular dive sites, I'm coming up empty handed; but I figured you guys would know best. Thanks!

-Paul

Lion Fish have not achieved the level of infestation off of Broward County as some other places have at this point.
They will certainly be some kills this weekend.
They are here, they are breeding, they are eating.
They may be living on the deep reefs.
There is no certainty of seeing one at this point on a dive.
This may change in a short time, unfortunately.

Chug
Has only seen one so far.

Chug says it all.

• Lionfish have been found there.
"Have Been" is the key word. With this crowd, if we've seen them, we've slayed them. They are where they are...just enjoy the dive and be on the lookout. KILL KILL KILL and come back and report on your success. :thumb:

I saw my second Lion Fish today on the Tracey wreck with Soamelt.
As he was lining up a shot at the little monster, the fish flashed into the wreck, and took cover under a set of stairs, at the west side of the wheelhouse.
We lost it there, as time was running out.
It was at the stairs that drop from the level just below the wheelhouse, down to the main deck.
I am not sure enough of my ships anatomy descriptions to tell you if it was the poop deck, the flybridge, the lido deck, or the bilge.

They are here.
Kill them with extreme prejudice.
Chug

If you dive off the charter boats in the Jupiter area, there is a pretty good chance you will get a chance to poke one in the 60 to 120 ft depths. A simple three prong pole spear should work great.

Chugwhump:
They may be living on the deep reefs.
Chugwhump:
I saw my second Lion Fish today on the Tracey wreck with Soamelt.
dumpsterDiver:
If you dive off the charter boats in the Jupiter area, there is a pretty good chance you will get a chance to poke one in the 60 to 120 ft depths.
Thanks guys. I was looking for infestations near shallower, beach accessible sites, but I suppose the fact that there aren't any yet is a good thing! I'll probably have to wait until I'm fully certified before I get get a kill, but I'll keep my eyes open in the meantime.

dumpsterDiver:
A simple three prong pole spear should work great.
Sounds good; we both have polespears with paralyzer tips.

-Paul

I have started carrying my telescoping tickle stick at all times.
It is about 16" long when closed up.
I figure if I pop one of the little bastages with a paralyzer 3 point tip, I will need a scraper of some sort to safely remove the beast without getting poked.
Before it is over I may even begin to carry a very long bladed filet knife or something to piece them apart.

Chug
I am still figuring this whole thing out.

Sounds good; we both have polespears with paralyzer tips.
Do your paralyzer tips have barbs? if so, what is your plan for removing the bastages from it? You need to be very careful around those toxic spines.

Do your paralyzer tips have barbs? if so, what is your plan for removing the bastages from it? You need to be very careful around those toxic spines.

Mine does, my buddy's doesn't. I actually didn't even notice them until I got home. At the dive shop we asked for two of the same tip, but somehow we ended up with two different ones.

We just bought them, though, so I can either return my tip or push in/grind off the barbs.

We have a five gallon bait well we were planning to use to collect the things. The idea was to stick the whole tip of the spear through the opening of the well, then close the lid on it and scrape the fish off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom