Lionfish Hunting in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AFAIK, this is a new offering for Barefoot. I will be interested to see if there is any uptake. I dive with Barefoot frequently and highly recommend them for their customer service and safety orientation. The resort is small and intimate and in a beautiful location. It is definitely not a party place.

I have my lionfish license and have gone out with Barefoot several times for lionfish hunts when there are no other fun divers. Ron is a very experienced lionfish hunter and can teach you how to safely clean your catch. He will also clean your catch for you if that is not your bag. Most importantly, Ron is the ceviche master! His traditional Honduran recipe is to die for!

Most of the dive sites on the south side are pretty much picked clean so you will have to venture into the bays and channels if you want to get significant volumes. The diving there is uninteresting but you will have an endless flow of targets. We usually freedive in these areas off a kayak or a friend's panga.

If you choose to go it alone, you can get your license and spear by taking a two-hour course at the Roatan Marine Park in West End. This consists of a brief lecture on lionfish ecology and reef conservation followed by a quick check-out dive. The latter requires divers to demonstrate neutral buoyancy and spear five coconuts without impacting the surrounding environment. Note that not all dive ops will allow you to bring your spear on board.

Final note: you need to have a good containment unit, either zookeeper or homemade. This is for your own safety and to avoid attracting the local denizens. Feeding the morays is highly discouraged. Too many have already become habituated to divers, which is bad news for them and the humans.

Back
Top Bottom